Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach / Edition 1by Dee Unglaub Silverthorn
Pub. Date: 08/28/1997
Publisher: Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
This sense of wonderment and exploration that fuels Dee Silverthorn's interactive, case-oriented classes has given birth to the second edition of her innovative text, Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach. As in the first edition of her text, Silverthorn goes beyond simply presenting the materialshe asks her readers to experience physiology/i>
This sense of wonderment and exploration that fuels Dee Silverthorn's interactive, case-oriented classes has given birth to the second edition of her innovative text, Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach. As in the first edition of her text, Silverthorn goes beyond simply presenting the materialshe asks her readers to experience physiology and understand the themes that drive the complexities of our bodies.
Familiar active learning and integration features from the first edition include:
- Macro-to-micro artwork from the team of William Ober, M.D. and Claire Garrison, R.N.
- Anatomy Summaries that provide an illustrated anatomical overview.
- Chapter outlines and chapter summaries
- Running ProblemsExtended problems that ask, "How does the material apply to life situations?"
- Integrated chaptersCoordinate the information and form a more complete understanding.
- Reflex pathways and concept mappingOrganize themes and coordinate the details.
- Graphing questionsQuestions to help you practice reading and interpreting graphs.
Additional learning features added for this edition:
- Diabetes BoxesUsing diabetes as an extended example of physiological integration, select chapters have Diabetes Boxes that highlight the effect of diabetes on body systems.
- Active learning through mediaMediaLabs promote active learning focused on Internet exploration. Readers are directed, via the free Silverthorn Website, to gatherinformation that applies to the problem at hand.
- Increased focus on quantitative problem-solvingThe three-level learning system from the first edition has now become four levels, with the new Level Four end-of-chapter questions focusing specifically on quantitative problems.
Come see for yourself why Silverthorn's Human Physiology has everyone talking. To find out more about the book and its supplements, look inside to the Owner's Manual on page vi.
- Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.57(w) x 11.19(h) x 1.27(d)
Table of Contents
I. BASIC CELL PROCESSES: INTEGRATION AND COORDINATION.
2. Atoms, Ions, and Molecules.
3. Cells and Tissues.
4. Cellular Metabolism.
5. Membrane Dynamics.
II. HOMEOSTASIS AND CONTROL.
7. Introduction to the Endocrine System.
8. The Nervous System.
9. The Central Nervous System.
10. Sensory Physiology.
11. Efferent Peripheral Nervous System: The Autonomic and Somatic Motor Divisions.
13. Integrative Physiology I: Control of Body Movement.
III. INTEGRATION OF FUNCTION.
14. Cardiovascular Physiology.
15. Blood Flow and the Control of Blood Pressure.
17. Respiratory Physiology.
18. The Kidneys.
19. Integrative Physiology II: Fluid and Electrolyte Balance.
IV. METABOLISM, GROWTH AND AGING.
21. Energy Balance, Metabolism, and Growth.
Energy Balance and Metabolism.
Homeostatic Control of Metabolism.
Long-Term Endocrine Control of Metabolism.
Endocrine Control of Growth.
22. The Immune System.
Overview of Immune System Function. Pathogens of the Human Body. The Immune Response. Anatomy of the Immune System. Innate Immunity. Acquired Immunity. Immune Response Pathways. Neuro-Endocrine-Immune Interactions.
23. Integrative Physiology III: Exercise.
Metabolism and Exercise. Ventilatory Responses to Exercise. Cardiovascular Responses to Exercise. Feedforward Responses to Exercise. Temperature Regulation. Exercise and Health.
24. Reproduction and Development.
Sex Determination. Basic Patterns of Reproduction. Male Reproduction. Female Reproduction. Procreation. Pregnancy and Parturition. Growth and Aging.
Appendix A: Physics and Math.
Appendix B: Genetics.
Appendix C: Anatomical Positions of the Body.
Appendix D: Answers to Concept Checks, Graph/Figure Questions, and End-of-Chapter Level 4 Questions.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >