Hypoglycaemia in Clinical Diabetes / Edition 2by Brian M. Frier
Hypoglycaemia remains a major problem in the management of diabetes, particularly for people treated with insulin. Its physiological effects can have adverse consequences for people with diabetes and it is much feared because of its potential morbidity and impact on everyday life. Hypoglycaemia may be becoming more prevalent as patients are set stricter metabolic… See more details below
Hypoglycaemia remains a major problem in the management of diabetes, particularly for people treated with insulin. Its physiological effects can have adverse consequences for people with diabetes and it is much feared because of its potential morbidity and impact on everyday life. Hypoglycaemia may be becoming more prevalent as patients are set stricter metabolic targets to control their blood glucose levels.
This fully revised edition covers similar areas to the first edition of this book, describing the pathophysiology, frequency, treatment and morbidity of hypoglycaemia, the causes, risk factors and syndromes such as impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia, and addressing the problems of special groups such as children, elderly people and pregnant women. Since the first edition was published, several new studies have increased the understanding of clinical problems associated with hypoglycaemia and diabetes.
Features of the second edition
- New chapter on hypoglycaemia in type 2 diabetes – far more common now than 10 years ago
- A more detailed examination of nocturnal hypoglycaemia
- New material on hypoglycaemia in the elderly
- New information on glucose monitoring and moderators of hypoglycaemia
This comprehensive yet practical book will be indispensable to all health care professionals who manage patients with diabetes, including clinicians, specialist nurses, general practitioners and dietitians.
Table of Contents
Chapters and Contributors.
1. Normal glucose metabolism and responses to hypoglycaemia(Ian A Macdonald and Paromita King).
2. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia and effects on mental performance and emotions (Ian J Deary).
3. Frequency, causes and risk factors for hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes (Mark W J Strachan).
4. Nocturnal hypoglycaemia (Simon Heller).
5. Moderators, monitoring and management of hypoglycaemia (Tristan Richardson and David Kerr).
6. Counterregulatory deficiencies in diabetes (David Kerr).
7. Impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia (Brian M Frier).
8. Risks of strict glycaemic control (Stephanie A Amiel).
9. Hypoglycaemia in children with diabetes (Krystyna A Matyka).
10. Hypoglycaemia and pregnancy (Ann E Gold and Donald W M Pearson).
11. Hypoglycaemia in type 2 diabetes and the elderly (Nicola N Zammitt and Brian M Frier).
12. Mortality, cardiovascular morbidity and possible effects of hypoglycaemia on diabetic complications (Simon Heller and B Miles Fisher).
13. Long-term effects of hypoglycaemia on cognitive function and the brain in diabetes (Petros Perros and Ian J Deary).
14. Living with hypoglycaemia (Brian M Frier).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >