IBM SPSS for Introductory Statistics: Use and Interpretation, Fourth Edition / Edition 4by George A. Morgan, Nancy L. Leech, Gene W. Gloeckner, Karen C. Barrett
Pub. Date: 08/09/2010
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
Designed to help students analyze and interpret research data using IBM SPSS, this book describes the use of statistics in user-friendly, non-technical language to show readers how to choose the appropriate statistic based on the design, interpret output, and write about the results. The authors prepare readers for all of the steps in the research process, from… See more details below
Designed to help students analyze and interpret research data using IBM SPSS, this book describes the use of statistics in user-friendly, non-technical language to show readers how to choose the appropriate statistic based on the design, interpret output, and write about the results. The authors prepare readers for all of the steps in the research process, from design and data collection, to writing about the results. Discussions of writing about outputs, data entry and checking, reliability assessment, testing assumptions, and computing descriptive and inferential parametric and nonparametric statistics are included. SPSS syntax, along with the output, is provided for those who prefer this format.
The new edition features:
- IBM SPSS version 18 but the book can also be used with older and newer versions
- New section on describing demographics and key variables
- Expanded discussion of assumptions and effect size measures in several chapters
- Expansion of other useful SPSS functions in Appendix A
- Examples that meet the new formatting guidelines outlined in the 6th edition of the APA Publication Manual (2010)
- Flowcharts and tables to help select the appropriate statistic and interpret statistical significance and effect sizes
- Two realistic data sets at www.psypress.com used to solve the chapter problems
- Password protected Instructor's Resource materials with PowerPoint slides, answers to interpretation questions, extra SPSS problems, and more found at http://www.psypress.com/ibm-spss-intro-stats .
IBM SPSS for Introductory Statistics, Fourth Edition provides helpful teaching tools:
- All of the key IBM SPSS windows needed to perform the analyses
- Complete outputs with call-out boxes to highlight key points
- Interpretation sections and questions to help students better understand and interpret the output
- Lab assignments organized the way students proceed when they conduct a research project
- Extra problems for practice in running and interpreting SPSS
- Helpful appendices on how to: get started with SPSS; write research questions; and create tables and figures.
An ideal supplement for courses in either statistics, research methods, or any course in which SPSS is used, taught in departments of psychology, education, and other social and health sciences, this book is also appreciated by researchers interested in using SPSS for their data analysis.
- Taylor & Francis
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of Contents
1. Variables, Research Problems and Questions. 2. Data Coding, Entry, and Checking. 3. Measurement and Descriptive Statistics. 4. Understanding Your Data and Checking Assumptions. 5. Data File Management and Descriptive Statistics. 6. Selecting and Interpreting Inferential Statistics. 7. Cross-Tabulation, Chi-Square, and Nonparametric Measures of Association. 8. Correlation and Regression. 9. Comparing Two Groups with t Tests and Similar Nonparametric Tests. 10. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). Appendix A: Getting Started and Other Useful SPSS Procedures. Appendix B: Writing Research Problems and Questions. Appendix C: Making Tables and Figures. Appendix D: Answers to Odd Numbered Interpretation Questions.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >