- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
"Churchland and Hooker have collected ten papers by prominent philosophers of science which challenge van Fraassen's thesis from a variety of realist perspectives. Together with van Fraassen's extensive reply . . . these articles provide a comprehensive picture of the current debate in philosophy of science between realists and anti-realists."—Jeffrey Bub and David MacCallum, Foundations of Physics Letters
Part I. Essays Addressed to Bas C. van Fraassen
1. Lex Orandi est Lex Credendi Richard N. Boyd
2. The Ontological Status of Observables: In Praise of the Superempirical Virtues Paul M. Churchfield
3. What Science Aims to Do Brian Ellis
4. Constructive Realism Ronald N. Giere
5. Explanation and Realism Clark Glymour
6. Scientific Realism versus Constructive Empiricism: A Dialogue Gary Gutting
7. Do We See through a Microscope?
8. Surface Dazzle, Ghostly Depths: An Exposition and Critical Evaluation of van Fraassen's Vindication of Empiricism against Realism Clifford A. Hooker
9. Realism versus Constructive Empiricism Alan Musgrave
10. What Can Theory Tell Us about Observation?
Part II. Bas C. van Fraassen Replies to His Critics
11. Empiricism in the Philosophy of Science Bas C. van Fraassen List of Contributors