Immunology & Serology in Laboratory Medicine / Edition 4by Mary Louise Turgeon
Pub. Date: 09/11/2008
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
The 5th edition of this classictext sets the standard for comprehensive coverage of immunology. Building from a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, trusted author Mary Louise Turgeon takes you from basic immunologic mechanisms and serologic concepts to the theory behind the procedures you’ll perform in the lab. Immunology & Serology in Laboratory
The 5th edition of this classictext sets the standard for comprehensive coverage of immunology. Building from a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, trusted author Mary Louise Turgeon takes you from basic immunologic mechanisms and serologic concepts to the theory behind the procedures you’ll perform in the lab. Immunology & Serology in Laboratory Medicine, Fifth Editionisthe go-to resource for everything from mastering automated techniques to understanding immunoassay instrumentation and disorders of infectious and immunologic origin. Packed with learning objectives, review questions, step-by-step procedures, and case studies, this text is your key to succeeding in today’s modern laboratory environment.
• Full-color, six-page insert of photomicrographs provide a better picture of what you’ll see in the laboratory.
• Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter offer a measurable outcome you can achieve by completing the material.
• Chapter highlights at the end of each chapter provide a summary of the most important information covered in each chapter.
• Review questions at the end of each chapter are tied to learning objectives further enhance your understanding.
• Case studies challenge you to apply your knowledge and help strengthen your critical thinking skills.
• Glossary at the end of the book provides quick access to key terms and definitions.
• NEW! Expanded chapter on Vaccines as the importance of vaccines continues to become more evident.
• NEW! Updated chapter on Molecular Techniques incorporates the newest technology specific to immunology.
• NEW! Key terms at the beginning of each chapter help you learn the important vocabulary in immunology.
• NEW! Case studies with added multiple-choice questions in addition to critical thinking questions will help you apply your knowledge and develop critical-thinking skills.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.70(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
Part I: Basic Immunologic Mechanisms
- An Overview of Immunology
- Antigens and Antibodies
- Cells and Cellular Activities of the Immune System: Granulocytes and Mononuclear Cells
- Cells and Cellular Activities of the Immune System: Lymphocytes and Plasma Cells
- Soluble Mediators of the Immune System
- Safety in the Immunology-Serology Laboratory
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Basic Serologic Laboratory Techniques
- Point-of-Care Testing
- Agglutination Methods
- Electrophoresis Techniques
- Labeling Techniques in Immunoassay
- Automated Procedures
- Molecular Techniques
- The Immune Response in Infectious Disease
- A Primer on Vaccines
- Streptococcal Infections
- Vector-Borne Diseases
- Infectious Mononucleosis
- Viral Hepatitis
- Rubella Infection
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hypersensitivity Reactions
- Immunoproliferative Disorders
- Autoimmune Disorders
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Solid Organ Transplantation
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Tumor Immunology
Part II: The Theory of Immunologic and Serologic Procedures
Part III: Immunologic Manifestations of Infectious Disease
Part IV: Immunologically and Serologically Related Disorders
Appendix A. Answers to Case Study Questions
Appendix B. Answers to Review Questions
Appendix C. Representative Diagnostic Assays in Medical Laboratory Immunology
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >