The Incarnation: An Interdisciplinary Symposium on the Incarnation of the Son of God / Edition 1by Stephen T. Davis
Pub. Date: 10/21/2004
Publisher: Oxford University Press
This interdisciplinary study follows an international and ecumenical meeting of twenty-four scholars held in New York at Easter 2000: the Incarnation Summit. After an opening chapter, which summarizes and evaluates twelve major questions concerning the Incarnation, five chapters are dedicated to the biblical roots of the central Christian doctrine. A patristic and… See more details below
This interdisciplinary study follows an international and ecumenical meeting of twenty-four scholars held in New York at Easter 2000: the Incarnation Summit. After an opening chapter, which summarizes and evaluates twelve major questions concerning the Incarnation, five chapters are dedicated to the biblical roots of the central Christian doctrine. A patristic and medieval section corrects misinterpretations and retrieves for today the significance of the Council of Chalcedon (451) and its aftermath, as well as clarifying Aquinas' enduring metaphysical interpretation of the Incarnation. The volume then moves to theological and philosophical debates: three scholars take up such systematic issues as belief in the Incarnation, the self-improving that it involves, and its compatibility with divine timelessness.
- Oxford University Press
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 5.40(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
1. The Incarnation; Critical Issues, Gerald O'Collins, S.J.
2. Biblical Witness Theophany, Anthropomorphism, and the Imago Dei: Some Observations about the incarnation in the Light of the Old Testament, J. Andrew Dearman
3. Jesus' Self-Understanding, N.T. Wright
4. St Paul and the Incarnation: A Reassessment of the Data, Gordon D. Fee
5. Romans 8: the Incarnation and its Redemptive Impact, Jean-Noel Aletti, S.J.
6. The Incarnation: The Jewish Milieu, Alan F. Segal
7. Patristic and Medieval Witness What Does Chalcedon Solve and What Does it Not?: Some Reflections on the Status and Meaning of the chalcedonian 'Definition', Sarah Coakley
8. Nature and the 'Mode of Union': Late Patristic Models for the Personal Unity of Christ, Brian E. Daley, S.J.
9. Aquinas' Metaphysics of the Incarnation, Eleonore Stump
10. Foundational and Systematic Issues Was Jesus Mad, Bad, or God?, Stephen T. Davis
11. The Self-Emptying of Love: Some Thoughts on Kenotic Christology, C. Stephen Evans
12. A Timeless God Incarnate, Brian Leftow
13. The Incarnation Practised and Proclaimed A Word Made Flesh: Incarnational Language and the Writer, Kathleen Norris
14. The Incarnation and Virtue Ethics, Linda Zagzebski
15. The Incarnation in Twentieth-Century Art, David Brown
16. The Incarnation in Selected Christmas Sermons, Marguerite Shuster
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >