The Inclusion-Classroom Problem Solver: Structures and Support to Serve All Learners / Edition 1by Constance McGrath
Pub. Date: 09/13/2007
Today there is no such thing as a general education classroom - virtually every class contains learners with special needs. Accommodating these children with stop-gap measures takes great effort and often ends with disappointing results. The Inclusion Classroom Problem Solver is a practical guide that helps you build a permanent, inclusive classroom/i>… See more details below
Today there is no such thing as a general education classroom - virtually every class contains learners with special needs. Accommodating these children with stop-gap measures takes great effort and often ends with disappointing results. The Inclusion Classroom Problem Solver is a practical guide that helps you build a permanent, inclusive classroom structure that automatically helps diverse learners without resorting to short-term fixes - even if you have no training with special needs students.
The Inclusion Classroom Problem Solver begins with the simple premise that if children don't learn the way we teach, we must learn to teach the way they learn. Constance McGrath explains how to set up a classroom environment that supports special-needs students as well as their peers, prevents behavioral problems, and improves learning for everyone. Based on observations of more than a dozen teachers across multiple districts, The Inclusion Classroom Problem Solver provides proven ways to create a classroom that replaces frustrating temporary accommodations with an inclusive, joyous environment designed to work for every student. From the smallest tasks - such as explaining assignments, arranging children's seating, and establishing classroom transitions - to big ideas, McGrath shares:
- organizational principles and lesson plans that work together to meet student needs
- curricular supports that are efficient, effective, and give students opportunities to succeed and be appropriately challenged
- assessment techniques, including whole-class and self-assessments, as well as guidelines on creating fair testing for all students
- classroom routines that promote inclusion, a positive culture, and friendships among all students
- experience-honed advice on working through behavioral issues, including interpreting what signal a child may be sending through undesirable behavior
- ideas for building and sustaining a strong special-education team
- methods for communicating effectively with parents.
In addition, McGrath provides a summary of the most common disabilities teachers work with. This invaluable resource provides a working definition of each condition, typical symptoms that teachers and parents might see, likely parent concerns and expectations, assignments that work well with the disability, and numerous ideas for supporting students at both the individual and whole-class levels.
Inclusion is a fact of life, but you don't have to struggle with it. Read The Inclusion Classroom Problem Solver and change your perspective. You'll not only find out how to provide diverse learners with what they need by making accommodations a part of your classroom structure, but also discover a teaching life that's less stressful and more satisfying.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.34(d)
- Age Range:
- 5 - 13 Years
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >