Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team / Edition 5by Chris H. Miller, Charles John Palenik
Pub. Date: 02/22/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Emphasizing patient safety and infection prevention in the dental office, Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team, 5th Edition, covers everything from basic concepts in microbiology to protocols for clinical asepsis. Clear, step-by-step instructions make it easy for you to perform safety procedures and use the supplies and/b>
- Elsevier Textbook Sale
Emphasizing patient safety and infection prevention in the dental office, Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team, 5th Edition, covers everything from basic concepts in microbiology to protocols for clinical asepsis. Clear, step-by-step instructions make it easy for you to perform safety procedures and use the supplies and equipment needed to prevent the spread of infectious disease. New to this edition are full-color photographs and four new chapters on emerging topics. Written by oral biology and infection control expert Chris Miller, this resource is a must read for every member of the dental team.
• Comprehensive coverage follows dental assisting and dental hygiene curricula requirements for infection control, ensuring that you learn essential principles and procedures for clinical competence.
• Easy-to-follow, step-by-step procedures are provided for skills that dental team members must master, each presented with a goal, materials, chronological steps, and rationales for the performance of each step.
• Key terms begin each chapter and are highlighted within text discussions and defined in a back-of-book glossary.
• Summary tables and boxes make study easier by highlighting key concepts and procedures.
• Review questions ensure your comprehension of the material with 5 to 20 multiple-choice questions at the end of each chapter.
• Practical appendices offer easy access to the most significant regulatory agency rules and recommendations for infection control.
• Student resources on the Evolve companion website include practice exercises plus review questions and quizzes.
• NEW! Full-color photographs show the latest equipment, supplies, and procedures and accurately depict concepts in microbiology and the nature of infectious disease.
• Four NEW chapters cover changing and emerging topics and trends in infection control, including Hand Hygiene, Preventing Sharps Injuries, General Office Asepsis, and Cross-contamination Between Work and Home.
• NEW! Case scenarios on the Evolve companion website examine an infection control incident along with its potential consequences, possible preventive measures, and related recommendations and regulations.
• UPDATED content includes new areas such as technology involving surface and equipment asepsis, dental water unit air quality, and green infection control.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.60(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of Contents
PART 1: The Microbial World
1. Scope of Microbiology and Infection Control
2. Characteristics of Microorganisms
3. Development of Infectious Diseases
4. Emerging Diseases
5. Oral Microbiology and Plaque-Associated Diseases
PART 2: Infection Control
6. Blood-Borne Pathogens
7. Oral and Respiratory Diseases
8. Infection Control Rationale and Regulations
10. NEW! Hand Hygiene
11. Personal Protective Equipment
12. Instrument Processing
13. Surface and Equipment Asepsis
14. Dental Unit Water Asepsis and Air Quality
15. Aseptic Techniques
16. Laboratory and Radiographic Asepsis
17. Waste Management
18. NEW! Preventing Sharps Injuries
19. A Clinical Asepsis Protocol
20. NEW! General Office Asepsis
21. Greener Infection Control
22. NEW! Cross-contamination Between Work and Home
PART 3: Office Safety
23. Occupational Safety and Health Administration
24. OSHA Inspections
25. Management of the Office Safety Program
26. Managing Chemicals Safely
27. Employee Fire Prevention and Emergency Action Plans
28. Infection Control Concerns during Remodeling and Construction
Appendix A: Infection Control and Hazardous Materials Management Resource List
Appendix B: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings2003,
Appendix C: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines for Prevention of Tuberculosis in Dental Settings
Appendix D: Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP)
Appendix E: Exposure Incident Report
Appendix F: Infection Control and the American Dental Association (ADA)
Appendix G: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
Appendix H: NEW! The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Hazard Communication Standard
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >