Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Catby Craig E. Greene
The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th Edition delivers current, comprehensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases caused by viruses, rickettsiae, chlamydiae, mycoplasmas, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, and unknown/b>/sup>… See more details below
- Checkmark Save Up to 50% on Medical Textbooks Shop Now
The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th Edition delivers current, comprehensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases caused by viruses, rickettsiae, chlamydiae, mycoplasmas, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, and unknown agents. Each section guides you through diagnostic testing for specific microorganisms, from sample collection to laboratory submission to interpretation of results, then details appropriate treatment measures and pharmacologic considerations for the various related infections. Full-color illustrations and hundreds of tables provide quick, convenient access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, and thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently administer appropriate dosages for the most effective treatment and prevention.
- The most comprehensive infectious disease coverage available helps you confidently address clinical problems related to infectious diseases in dogs and cats, and includes:
- Immunization strategies and environmental control of infections
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Prevention of infection in multi-pet and shelter settings
- Immunocompromised people and their pets
- Vibrant full-color illustrations clarify disease features and modes of disease transmission for enhanced diagnostic accuracy and disease prevention.
- Convenient tables deliver therapeutic recommendations and drug dosages at a glance.
- Complete antimicrobial drug formulary provides fast, easy access to indications, recommended dosages, and pharmacologic considerations essential for all relevant pharmaceuticals.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic testing procedures help you ensure accurate diagnoses for all clinically relevant pathogens.
- Content reflects the expert insight and vast clinical experience of a panel of trusted authorities on small animal infectious diseases.
- Easy-to-use companion website provides convenient online access to additional images, tables, boxes, appendices, and references linked directly to original PubMed abstracts.
- Expanded coverage of zoonoses, zoonotic potential, and precautions helps you effectively monitor and treat zoonotic infections.
- Fully updated drug formulary reflects the most current pharmacokinetics, indications, contraindications, handling and administration guidelines, and dosage recommendations available.
- Updated content throughout the text details current diagnostic testing regimens and therapeutic and preventive considerations for all pathogens you're likely to encounter in the clinical setting.
- Special focus on disease incidence and susceptibility in traveling animals helps you alert animal owners to potential risks associated with pet travel.
"The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat 4th Edition delivers current comprehgensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases...Full colour illustrations, hundreds of tables provide quick, access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently adminster appropriate dosages."
Dier-en-Arts, April 2014
"All chapters have been extensively updated since the last edition due to the massive amount of new information available...The text is informative and well written, the images lift the text and are of good quality...The reader obtains an excellent understanding of infectious diseases when reading this book. The chapters are rigorously structured covering aetiology, epidemoiology, pathogenesis, clinical signs, diagnosis, pathological findings, therapy, preventative measures and when appropriate, public health considerations. The book is useful for all those interested in dog and cat medicine, and especially for anyone who is studying for further qualifications in internal medicine...The practical usefulness of this book cannot be overstated, and it deserves a position in every veterinary school and on the bookshelves of all veterinary clinics."
EJCAP, January 2013
"This comprehensive textbook of over 1300 pages tells you everything you need to know about infectious disease in dogs and cats...Some textbooks on infectious diseases are laid out by mircobiological categories while others are ordered by clinical problem- this book does both in separatesections so offers the best of both worlds...In conclusion, this would be an excellent book for a library collection as a textbook for veterinary collection as a textbook for veterinary students as well as for those with an interest in infectious disease. As a large hardback textbook it may not be suitable for all practitioners, but it would be a welcome addition to the practice library. While covering all the recent informatiion on pathogens, including molecular details, the text is easy to read and benefits greatly from a large number of well laid out tables."
Veterinary Record, January 2013
Description: The second edition of this book provides a comprehensive, detailed description of the most relevant infectious diseases of dogs and cats with the primary objective of providing diagnostic information to clinicians in a format that is readily accessible and includes the most current antimicrobial drugs available for treatment. The second edition provides expanded information on several topics which were briefly discussed in the first edition, published in 1990.
Purpose: The editor states that the emphasis of the book is "on diagnosis and treatment of canine and feline infections" and that "modifications have been made to improve the readability and clinical usefulness of the book." He is quite successful in achieving this goal. Coverage of specific topics is broad and detailed. Particular attention is given to providing drug dosage tables, including a comprehensive drug formulary.
Audience: The target audience includes veterinary students, interns, residents, and small animal practitioners. The broad scope of this book and the wealth of current literature not only provide a foundation for students learning the principles of infectious disease at a molecular level, but also provide valuable information regarding the treatment of a variety of canine and feline infectious diseases.
Features: Not unlike the first edition, the second edition contains five sections; however, the order has slightly changed. Of particular interest to today's clinicians and diagnosticians is the updated information on molecular and genetic techniques and their application in disease pathogenesis and the development of diagnostic tests. A new addition to this edition is an exhaustive, worldwide formulary of antimicrobial drugs and their manufacturers. The most significant shortcoming of this edition is the omission of valuable references from the text and list of references. The editor states that references were omitted to reduce the size, and ultimately, the cost of the book.
Assessment: While this book is a must for small animal interns, residents, practitioners, and diagnosticians, it will prove to be a valuable resource to veterinary students. The current, expanded coverage of the second edition warrants replacement of the original edition.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- Sales rank:
- File size:
- 65 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >