Information Tasks / Edition 1by Bryce Allen
Pub. Date: 10/01/1996
Publisher: Emerald Group Publishing
The user-centered approach is central to the creation of usable information systems, services, and institutions. Information system design should derive from user research into information needs, tasks accomplished in meeting those needs, and resources used in the tasks. Information Tasks summarizes user research, then presents design sketches of systems that illustrate how design is linked to research. Also discussed are usable information services and an overview of the organization and economics of information institutions. This comprehensive user-centered approach provides an agenda for information research, design, and education that challenges many accepted beliefs and suggest new directions for information work.
Information Tasks will be of interest to library and information science students and faculty interested in information storage and retrieval, user studies, and systems analysis design. Students and scholars of human factors in systems design, human-computer interaction, and cognitive engineering will also find the text useful.
* Reviews user research from many disciplines
* Links research to practical design issues
* Provides a unified model for user studies and user-centered design
* Includes "how-to" summaries of design chapters
* Shows how designers can investigate their user communities
* Provides a general template for the design process
* Integrates all aspects of information design
* Discusses library issues in the larger information context
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
An Introduction to User-Centered Information System Design.
Information Needs and Information Design.
Expressing Information Needs.
Designing Systems for Meeting Expressed Information Needs.
Information Tasks: Interacting with Information Systems.
Design Details for Information Systems.
Information Services from the User's Perspective.
Conclusion: User-Centered Design and Evaluation.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >