Inside Hollywood: A Writer's Guide to Researching the World of Movies and TVby Wilson, John Morgan Wilson
Open this book and uncover the real Hollywood. From the stars to the studio heads, award-winning writer John Morgan Wilson cuts through the cliches and the hype to give you an insider's perspective on living and working in Tinseltown. Whether you want to write about or pursue a career in Hollywood, you'll learn the lingo, business protocol and physical geography that characterize this famed city, featuring:
- Movie deals and money jargon, from net profits and points to first-dollar gross and boot strapping.
- A historic timeline of L.A. and Hollywood covering everything from the birth of the ""star system"" through today's monster-budget hits and disasters.
- Charts detailing the structure of agencies, studios, networks and production companies.
- Common studio occupations, such as gaffers, best boys and script doctors with details on salaries, unions and job requirements.
- How Hollywood deals with ageism, racism and homophobia, along with the most comprehensive listing of Hollywood minority organizations.
- Detailed glossaries, plus information on hundreds of additional resources from libraries and museums to websites and movies.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews