“Inside My World” takes the reader inside the world of a blind child, teenager and young adult growing up in Chicago some 70 years ago.
It is an account of the physical and psychological challenges experienced by a blind child and adolescent trying to “fit in” to the sighted world and of his amazing mother’s determination to help him do so.
It is also a nostalgic look back to an era when:
• You could buy candy for a penny…
• Kids played war games using sticks for guns…
• And a foot of snow was a dream come true.
My mother used to tell people: “He’s in his own little world.”
Indeed, seeing the world without sight is seeing it in a very different way.
The world of a blind person is smaller, closer, and more personal.
And yet, each of us, in fact, is "in our own little world,” our own personal reality - A reality shaped not just by our senses, but by our upbringing, our education, our culture, our geography, our exposure to the environment, our interaction with people, our whole range of personal experience and learning. And so, each of us has shaped, and continues to shape, a very unique personal reality, which is “Our World.”
IT IS OUR UNIQUENESS AS INDIVIDUALS
THAT MAKES OUR EXISTENCE SO PRECIOUS.
Larry P. Johnson is a native of Chicago, graduate of Northwestern University's School of Speech in Evanston, Illinois, with a Master's in Latin American Studies, from La Universidad de las Americas in Mexico City. His professional background includes:
* 22 years as a radio and television broadcaster in Mexico City, Chicago and San Antonio. He was the first blind newscaster on Mexican television. * 28 years as a motivational speaker and workshop presenter - having presented for audiences in Mexico, Japan and the United States.
* 21 years as a Human Resources manager with AT&T Communications. He makes his home now in San Antonio, TX, enjoys tandem bicycling, bowling and reading. He is the father of 6 children and grandfather of 20.
Also the author of:
* "Mexico By Touch: True Life Experiences of a Blind American Deejay," an inspirational account of his adventures and misadventures living and working in Mexico for 17 years and
* "You Can If You Think You Can, Rebound From Adversity and Follow Your Dreams", an easy-to-read guide that offers simple strategies to overcome failure, restore self-esteem and achieve success and happiness in your life.