Inside National Health Reformby John E. McDonough
Pub. Date: 09/12/2011
Publisher: University of California Press
This indispensable guide to the Affordable Care Act, our new national health care law, lends an insider’s deep understanding of policy to a lively and absorbing account of the extraordinaryand extraordinarily ambitiouslegislative effort to reform the nation’s health care system. Dr. John E. McDonough, DPH, a health policy expert who served… See more details below
This indispensable guide to the Affordable Care Act, our new national health care law, lends an insider’s deep understanding of policy to a lively and absorbing account of the extraordinaryand extraordinarily ambitiouslegislative effort to reform the nation’s health care system. Dr. John E. McDonough, DPH, a health policy expert who served as an advisor to the late Senator Edward Kennedy, provides a vivid picture of the intense effort required to bring this legislation into law. McDonough clearly explains the ACA’s inner workings, revealing the rich landscape of the issues, policies, and controversies embedded in the law yet unknown to most Americans. In his account of these historic events, McDonough takes us through the process from the 2008 presidential campaign to the moment in 2010 when President Obama signed the bill into law. At a time when the nation is taking a second look at the ACA, Inside National Health Reform provides the essential information for Americans to make informed judgments about this landmark law.
- University of California Press
- Publication date:
- California/Milbank Books on Health and the Public Series
- Product dimensions:
- 6.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
List of Tables Foreword by Carmen Hooker Odom and Samuel L. Milbank (to come)
Preface Acknowledgments List of Abbreviations
Introduction -- A Meeting in Minnesota
Part I. Preludes and Process
1. The Knowledge Base--Why National Health Reform?
When Did U.S. Leaders Begin Pushing for Health Care Reform?
The Evolution of Universal Coverage as an Issue Cost and Quality Emerge as Health Care Concerns What Happened to Federal Reform after the 1993-94 Clinton Health Reform Failure?
The Congressional Budget Office Elusive Public Opinion
2. Social Strategy--Massachusetts Avenue Massachusetts Health Reform Explained California Tries and Stumbles Roads Not Taken
3. Political Will I--Prelude to a Health Reform Campaign Gathering Momentum The Presidential Campaign
4. Political Will II--A Health Reform Campaign The Senate Moves First The House Finds Its Footing The Obama Administration Moves In Agreements, Deals, and Lack Thereof Republicans--Current and Former Markup Mash-Ups On the Floors A Faux Conference and Ping-Pong Byrd Baths, End Games, and a Sidecar
Part II. Policies--Ten Titles
5. Title I--The Three-Legged Stool Title I: Quality, Affordable Health Care for All Americans Understanding Title I The Struggle over Health Insurance The Three-Legged Stool The Exchange Who Is Left Out?
Employer Responsibility Immigrants The Public-Plan Option Administrative Simplification
6. Title II-Medicaid, CHIP, and the Governors Title II--The Role of Public Programs Understanding Medicaid Understanding Title II The Numbers Game Medicaid's Future CHIP--the Favored Child
7. Title III--Medical Care, Medicare, and the Cost Curve Title III--Improving the Quality and Efficiency of Health Care Some Essential Background on Medicare Understanding Title III Following the Money The Future: Will the ACA Lower U.S. Health Care Costs?
8. Title IV--Money, Mammograms, and Menus Title IV--Prevention of Chronic Disease and Improving Public Health Understanding Title IV
9. Title V--Who Will Provide the Care?
Title V--Health Care Workforce Understanding Title V
10. Title VI--The Stew Title VI--Program Integrity and Transparency Understanding Title VI Fraud and Abuse The Physician Payments Sunshine Act Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Elder Justice and Nursing Home Transparency and Improvement Medical-Liability Reform
11. Title VII--Biosimilar Biological Products Title VII--Improving Access to Innovative Medical Therapies Understanding Title VII Biosimilar Basics Congress Decides
12. Title VIII--CLASS Act Title VIII--Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Understanding Title VIII CLASS Beginnings CLASS Questions CLASS Makes the Cut
13. Title IX--Paying for the ACA (or About Half of It)
Title IX--Revenue Provisions Understanding Title IX
14. Title X-Plus--The Manager's Amendment and the Reconciliation Act The Manager's Amendment The Reconciliation Sidecar Understanding Title X
Summary Judgments Minnesota Redux Conclusions: Looking Back Conclusions: Looking Ahead
Notes Health Reform Timeline Index Illustrations follow page
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
very good, clearly written and provides the background to the design.