Integrated Theory and Knowledge Development in Nursing / Edition 7by Peggy L. Chinn, Maeona K. Kramer
Pub. Date: 11/02/2007
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This comprehensive resource examines how nursing theory and patterns of knowing affect nursing practice. In addition to the concepts of ethical knowledge, aesthetic knowledge, and empiric knowledge development, you'll learn about the newest pattern of knowing emancipatory knowing. This pattern centers on the human capacity to create change by envisioning
This comprehensive resource examines how nursing theory and patterns of knowing affect nursing practice. In addition to the concepts of ethical knowledge, aesthetic knowledge, and empiric knowledge development, you'll learn about the newest pattern of knowing emancipatory knowing. This pattern centers on the human capacity to create change by envisioning desired outcomes, particularly in situations that involve injustice or social wrongs. Throughout the book, helpful activities encourage you to reflect on important concepts and explore how evidence-based nursing theory can be used to improve the quality of care.
• A full-color insert visually demonstrates the fundamentals of knowing and includes the new concept of emancipatory knowing.
• Comprehensive discussions of nursing theory help you understand how theory development and nursing research apply to actual practice.
• Interpretive Summaries of selected conceptual frameworks highlight the essential features you need to know.
• A new chapter Emancipatory Knowing: Knowing for Practice emphasizes the importance of discovering what lies beneath issues and problems, redefining these issues and problems to reveal connections between complex social and political contexts, and then acting to address the underlying issues.
• Reflection and Discussion sections at the end of each chapter reinforce key concepts and encourage further discussion and reflective writing.
• The concept of using evidence-based practice to improve the quality of care is incorporated throughout, as well as how evidence-based practice contributes to theory development.
• Updated information on theory development incorporates the influence of emancipatory knowing and helps you connect theory and knowledge to your own experiences and everyday nursing practice.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.25(w) x 8.88(h) x 0.47(d)
Table of Contents
1. Nursing’s Fundamental Patterns of Knowing
2. Nursing’s Knowledge Development Pathways
3. Emancipatory Knowledge: Knowing for Practice
4. Ethical Knowledge Development
5. Personal Knowledge Development
6. Aesthetic Knowledge Development
7. Empiric Knowledge Development: Explaining and Structuring
8. Description and Critical Reflection of Empiric Theory
9. Validating and Confirming Empiric Knowledge Using Research
10. Utilizing and Validating Empiric Knowledge in Practice
Appendix A Interpretive Summary: Broad Theoretic Frameworks Defining the Scope, Philosophy and General Characteristics of Nursing
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Content was exhausting! Plenty of abstract "thinking about thinking" esoteric awfulness. Hated it.