Integrated Treatment for Dual Disorders: A Guide to Effective Practice / Edition 1by Kim T. Mueser, Douglas L. Noordsy, Robert E. Drake, Lindy Fox Smith
Pub. Date: 04/25/2003
Publisher: Guilford Publications, Inc.
This comprehensive clinical handbook provides virtually everything needed to plan, deliver, and evaluate effective treatment for persons with substance abuse problems and persistent mental illness. From authors at the forefront of the dual disorders field, the book is grounded in decades of influential research. Presented are clear guidelines for developing
This comprehensive clinical handbook provides virtually everything needed to plan, deliver, and evaluate effective treatment for persons with substance abuse problems and persistent mental illness. From authors at the forefront of the dual disorders field, the book is grounded in decades of influential research. Presented are clear guidelines for developing integrated treatment programs, performing state-of-the-art assessments, and implementing a wide range of individual, group, and family interventions. Also addressed are residential and other housing services, involuntary interventions, vocational rehabilitation, and psychopharmacology for dual disorders. Throughout, the emphasis is on workable ways to combine psychiatric and substance abuse services into a cohesive, unitary system of care. Designed in a convenient 8 " x 11" format, the volume contains all needed assessment forms, treatment planning materials, and client handouts, most of which include permission to photocopy. Photocopy Rights: The Publisher grants individual book purchasers nonassignable permission to reproduce selected materials in this book for professional use. For details and limitations, see copyright page. Key Features:
• The first book to present an evidence-based integrated treatment framework for dual disorders.
• Authors have national reputation; Mueser speaks often.
• Tons of reproducibles, handouts, assessments for real clinical practice.
• Comprehensive: every aspect of treatment addressed.
• For both psychiatric and addictions professionals.
Table of Contents
1. Substance Abuse and Severe Mental Illness
2. Principles of Integrated Treatment
3. Basic Organizational Factors
II. The Assessment Process
4. Assessment I: Detection, Classification, and Functional Assessment
5. Assessment II: Functional Analysis and Treatment Planning
III. Individual Approaches
6. Stage-Wise Case Management
7. Motivational Interviewing
8. Cognitive-Behavioral Counseling
IV. Group Interventions
9. Persuasion Groups
10. Active Treatment Groups
11. Social Skills Training Groups
12. Self-Help Groups
V. Working with Families
13. Family Collaboration
14. Behavioral Family Therapy
15. Multiple-Family Groups
VI. Other Treatment Approaches
16. Residential Programs and Other Housing Options
17. Involuntary and Coerced Interventions
18. Vocational Rehabilitation
20. Research on Dual-Disorder Treatment
Epilogue: Avoiding Burnout and Demoralization
A. Dual-Disorder Treatment Fidelity Scale
B. Educational Handouts
C. Assessment Instruments and Other Forms
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews