- Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.26(w) x 10.95(h) x 0.68(d)
Table of Contents
Foreword written by James A. Beane.
1. Introduction: From Atomization to Integration.
I. CONNECTING SUBJECT AREAS.
2. Focusing Inquiry: Using Questions to Organize Learning.
Inquiry Showcase: The Human Impact on the Champlain Basin, Michael Long, Colchester High School, Colchester School District, Colchester, Vermont.
3. Fusing Subject Areas: Linking Subject to Subject.
Fusion Showcase: Humanitas Program, Richard Rorty and Postmodernism, Nina Gifford, Ray Linn, Neil Anstead and Chris Biron, Grover Cleveland Humanities Magnet School, Los Angeles Unified School District, CA.
4. Teaching Themes: Organizing Learning Around Ideas.
Thematic Teaching Showcase: Team Zenith: Integrating Teams, Themes, and Projects, Tom McGuire, Thayer High School, Winchester, NH.
II. FOCUSING ON PROCESS.
5. The Thinking Process: Multimodal Intelligence.
Thinking Process Showcase: Thinking Conceptually with 4MAT: A Case Study on Nationalism, Steve Boyle, Brian Walsh and His Students, Brian Nelligan and Kevin Martell, Essex Junction High School, Essex Junction, Vermont.
6. The Writing Process: Writing to Learn.
Writing Process Showcase: Writing to Understand Local History and Culture, Mary Elyn Carroll, York High School, York, S.C.
7. Computer Processing: Using Electronic Information.
Computer Processing Showcase: Using Technology to Learn aboutTechnology, Priscilla Norton, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
III. SOLVING PROBLEMS.
8. Problem-Based Learning: Meeting Real-World Challenges.
Problem Based Showcase: The Icarus Project: Studying Water Quality from Macrosystems to Molecules, Bob Benoit, Tim McClure and Robert Kuintzle, Paradise High School, Butte County, CA.
9. Science/Technology/Society: Complex Issue Analysis.
STS Showcase: From Minuteman to Star Wars; From Chernobyl to Yucca Flats: A High School Nuclear Chemistry Unit, Kevin Koepnick, City High School, Iowa City, Iowa.
10. Learning to Work: Experiential Learning.
Experiential Learning Showcase: School-Based Businesses: REAL Enterprises at Riverside High School, Cory NeVille, Kendra Austin and Rick Larson, Riverside High School, Chattaroy, Washington.
IV. ADAPTING SYSTEMS TO SUPPORT PERFORMANCE.
11. Integrating Teaching and Testing: Authentic Assessment.
Assessment Showcase: Student Trek: Assessment at University Heights High School, Nancy Mohr and Paul Allison with Students, Teachers and Parents of University Heights High School, New York City, N.Y.
12. Supporting Continuous Renewal: Systems Adaptation.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >