Especially now, in an age of instant global access through digital media, it is vitally important that journalists, authors and publishers, as well as the lawyers who serve them, be fully up on the laws governing the media, worldwide. Enter International Libel and Privacy Handbook, Third Edition.
The ultimate resource for media content providers and purveyors, wherever they are based, this fully updated and expanded edition of the critically acclaimed handbook gives you instant access to relevant libel and privacy laws and important legal rulings in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the Americas. Written by veteran journalist and First Amendment lawyer, Charles Glasser, and based on extensive surveys of lawyers around the worldall of them experts in their nation's or region's media and privacy lawsInternational Libel and Privacy Handbook, Third Edition features:
- Nation-by-nation summaries of libel and privacy law written by local practitioners in an easy-to-use reference format
- Clear, concise explanations of the risks you may face from publication and steps you can take to avoid legal conflicts
- Detailed descriptions of the legal defenses available to you in the event that a claim is filed against you or your company
- Expanded to include coverage of Latin America as well as the latest libel and privacy rulings
- All-new chapters devoted to emerging media marketsincluding Israel, Argentina, Jordan and othersas well as valuable updates to the Middle East section
- Updates on all major media markets and nations, along with coverage of changes in libel laws in key jurisdictions, including Australia, the UK, Hungary and Germany
While the bulk of its coverage is devoted to providing the straight facts about the media laws of more than thirty nations, worldwide, this book's overriding purpose is to help you avoid libel suits rather than fighting a suit once one has been filed against you. To that end, each author provides an analytical framework for reviewing your practices in light of the fundamental moral philosophy, political history, cultural biases and economic structures informing his or her nation's media and privacy laws.
International Libel and Privacy Handbook, Third Edition is an indispensable survival guide for everyone in the media industrieswhether they are investigative reporters, TV journalists, book or magazine editors and publishers, in-house counsel or popular bloggers.