Intervention with Children and Adolescents: An Interdisciplinary Perspective / Edition 1by Paula Allen-Meares Ph.D., Mark W. Fraser Ph.D.
Pub. Date: 05/06/2003
Using a risk and resilience orientation, Intervention with Children and Adolescents distills evidence-based studies into practice guidelines for designing and implementing interventions across a wide range of social and health problems in childhood and adolescence. Leading scholars from nearly two dozen fields of practice share their wisdom as they/i>… See more details below
Using a risk and resilience orientation, Intervention with Children and Adolescents distills evidence-based studies into practice guidelines for designing and implementing interventions across a wide range of social and health problems in childhood and adolescence. Leading scholars from nearly two dozen fields of practice share their wisdom as they critically review literatures in child maltreatment, youth violence, drug abuse, school dropout, pregnancy, serious mental disorders, gang involvement, and other areas of practice. This book is distinguished by detailed interdisciplinary perspective reviews on the impact of culture, gender, sexual orientation, and poverty on child development and developmental pyschopathology. This is a path-finding book for practitioners, students, parents, and scholars. It is compelling reading on how we can change systems and services to make positive changes in child outcomes. Intervention is grounded in the latest data on prevalence, theories, empirical evidence on intervention, factors/conditions that protect and/or increase risk for negative outcomes, and social/cultural factors unique to various racial and ethnic groups. Case illustrations, additional reading lists, charts/tables on various interventions, and practice guidelines set this book apart from other literature in this area.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.30(d)
Table of Contents
Foreword by David Hawkins.
1. Introduction, Paula Allen-Meares, Mark Fraser.
2. Contributions of Risk Research to the Design of Successful Interventions, Arnold J. Sameroff, Leslie Morrison Gutman.
3. Ethnicity and Culture, Oscar Barbarin, Terry McCandies, Cheri Coleman, Tamara Atkinson.
4. Gender Differences in Childhood and Adolescence, Cathryn C. Potter.
5. Social Work Practice with Gay and Lesbian Children and Adolescents, John F. Longres, William S. Etnyre.
6. Interventions and Children in Poverty, Miriam Linver, Allison Sidle Fuligni, Magdalena Hernandez, Jeanne Brooks-Gunn.
7. Prevention and Treatment Strategies Targeting Physical Child Abuse and Neglect, Neil B. Guterman, Richard A. Embry.
8. Child and Adolescent Sexual Abuse, Sandra J. Kaplan.
9. School-Based Interventions for Students with Emotional/ Behavioral Disorders, K. Richard Young, Michelle Marchant, Lynn K. Wilder.
10. Autistic Spectrum Disorders: Assessment and Intervention, Mark C. Holter.
11. Treatment and Early Intervention for Schizophrenia, Carol T. Mowbray, Debbie Gioia-Hasick.
12. Depression During the School-Aged Years, Daphna Oyserman.
13. Prevention and Intervention in Youth Suicide, Mark J. Macgowan.
14. What Can be Done to Prevent and Assist School Dropouts? Russell W. Rumberger.
15. The Prevention and Treatment of Adolescent Drug Abuse, Kenneth W. Griffin, Gilbert J. Botvin.
16. AIDS/STD Prevention for U.S. Adolescents, Mary L. Rogers Gillmore.
17. Lost Childhoods: Risk and Resiliency Among Runaway and Homeless Adolescents, Kimberly A. Tyler, Les B. Whitbeck.
18. Adolescent Pregnancy and Parenting: A Bio-Psychosocial Framework, Jacqueline Corcoran, Cynthia Franklin.
19. Bullying and Peer Victimization in Schools, Ron Avi Astor, Rami Benbenishty, Ronald O. Pitner, Heather Ann Meyer.
20. Review of Research on Predictors of Youth Violence and School Based and Community Based Prevention Approaches, Todd J. Herrenkohl, Ick-Joong Chung, Richard F. Catalano.
21. Adolescent Sex Offenders: Characteristics, Prevention and Treatment, William D. Murphy, I. Jacqueline Page, Melissa Hoffman.
22. Youth Gangs: Prevention and Intervention, James C. Howell.
23. Eating Disorders: Prevention and Intervention Strategies with Children and Adolescents, Roslyn B. Binford, Melissa Pederson Mussell, Lisa Rogers, Joy L. Johnson-Lind, Kathryn B. Miller.
24. Conclusion, Mark Fraser, Paula Allen-Meares.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >