- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Now featuring a full-color design and illustrations, this popular textbook combines a clear and concise format with up-to-date coverage of nursing pharmacology. It provides a clear review of mathematics with drug calculations and a concise overview of the general principles of pharmacology. Each therapeutic drug class is covered in a straightforward format, including an application of the nursing process and consistent learning aids. Its coverage of essential pharmacology content and its clear, consistent approach will help students succeed in nursing pharmacology and excel on the NCLEX Examination, which now includes an increased emphasis on pharmacology.
• Application of the nursing process and patient teaching for each therapeutic drug class, with coverage of Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, and Patient and Family Teaching.
• Drug tables within the discussion of each therapeutic drug class provide a clear and consistent reference to individual drug dosage information, with a special symbol for drugs available only in Canada.
• A comprehensive unit - three chapters - on mathematics and drug calculations to ensure mastery of math skills needed for safe medication administration.
• Step-by-step Procedure boxes in the medication administration chapter provide students with clear instructions and illustrations for various routes of drug administration.
• Highlights the Top 50 Drugs most often prescribed in the U.S.
• New chapters on Patient Teaching and Health Literacy (Chapter 2) and Medications for Pain Management (Chapter 17) equip students for the realities of nursing practice.
• Now printed in full-color.
• Readability is enhanced throughout, with a special emphasis on health literacy.
• Drug Calculation Review questions at the ends of select chapters provide practice in calculating drug dosages using a variety of approaches, including dimensional analysis.
• Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes highlight special considerations for herbal therapies, including drug interactions.
• Fully implements the JCAHO recommendations for the use of abbreviations.
• A companion CD-ROM, packaged in each textbook, reinforces content with interactive NCLEX examination-style review questions, an Audio Glossary, animations, video clips, and a drug dosage calculator.
Unit 1: General Principles of Pharmacology
1. The Nursing Process
2. Patient Teaching and Health Literacy New!
3. Legal Aspects Affecting the Administration of Medications
4. Foundations and Principles of Pharmacology
5. Lifespan and Cultural Modifications
6. Self-Care: Over-the Counter Products, Herbal Therapies, and Drugs for Health Promotion
Unit 2: Principles of Medication Administration
7. Review of Mathematical Principles
8. Mathematical Equivalents Used in Pharmacology
9. Calculating Drug Dosages
10. Preparing and Administering Medications
Unit 3: Drug Groups
11. Allergy and Respiratory Medications
12. Antiinfective Medications
13. Antivirals, Antiretrovirals, and Antifungal Medications
14. Antineoplastic Medications
15. Cardiovascular and Renal Medications
16. Central and Peripheral Nervous System Medications
17. Medications for Pain Management New!
18. Gastrointestinal Medications
19. Hematologic Products
20. Hormones and Steroids
21. Immunologic Medications
22. Antiinflammatory, Musculoskeletal, and Antiarthritis Medications
23. Topical Medications
24. Vitamins and Minerals
Appendix A: Pregnancy Risk Categories New!
Appendix B: Nursing Mothers Risk Categories New!
Appendix C: Special Medications Precautions New!
Appendix D: Answers to Drug Calculation Review Questions
Illustration Credits List