- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Ships from: American Fork, UT
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Introduction to Health and Safety in Construction covers the specific challenges faced by the construction industry as well as the basics of occupational safety and health in general. The coverage of this book has been directly matched to the National Certificate award in Construction Safety and Health from NEBOSH. However, the comprehensive coverage makes it relevant for other built environment and construction courses in Design and Management and Safety & Health, both in the UK and overseas.
The text is highly illustrated, easy to read and includes self-assessment questions and sample answers. A chapter on study skills offers support for professionals returning to study. It includes checklists, report forms and record sheets, making it a valuable reference tool for construction managers, supervisors, designers, building and civil engineers to consult on the day to day issues of health and safety.
New in this edition:
* Restructured in line with the unitised NEBOSH syllabus
* New chapter with specimen answers for the two written examinations and a specimen practical assignment and management report
* Updated throughout in line with changes in the regulations, including CDM 2007, alterations to the application of the fire safety order 2005 following CDM 2007, Control of Asbestos 2006, REACH, and legislation on smoke-free workplaces
Phil Hughes MBE, MSc, CFIOSH, is a former Chairman of NEBOSH (1995-2001), former President of IOSH (1990-1991) and runs his own consultancy. He received an MBE for services to health and safety and as a director of RoSPA, in the New Year's Honours List 2005.
Ed Ferrett PhD, BSc (Hons Eng), CEng, MIMechE, MIET, CMIOSH, is the Vice Chairman of NEBOSH and a lecturer on NEBOSH courses at Cornwall Business School of Cornwall College. He is a Chartered Engineer and a health and safety consultant.
The construction industry is working hard to improve its health and safety record. It is now essential for employers and employees to be aware of the health and safety issues that concern them and demand for qualifications in this area is increasing.
The coverage of this book has been directly matched to the Certificate course in Construction Safety and Health from NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health). However, the comprehensive coverage of health and safety topics in a construction context make it relevant for other courses in Construction Design and Management, Construction Safety and Health, and the Built Environment, both in the UK and overseas. It will prove essential reading for the building industry.
The text is highly illustrated in full colour, easy to read and includes self-assessment questions taken directly from NEBOSH examinations as well as a study skills chapter. The text is also supported with checklists, report forms and record sheets, making it a valuable reference tool for construction managers, supervisors, designers, building and civil engineers to consult on the day to day issues of health and safety. Fully covers the syllabus for the NEBOSH National Certificate in Construction Safety and Health
List of principal abbreviations
1. Health and safety foundations
3. Organizing for health and safety
4. Promoting a positive health and safety culture
5. Risk assessment
6. Principles of control
7. Monitoring review and audit
8. Incident investigation, recording and reporting
9. Construction law and management
10. Construction site issues - hazards and control
11. Movement of people and vehicles - hazards and control
12. Manual and mechanical handling hazards and control
13. Work equipment hazards and control
14. Electrical hazards and control
15. Fire hazards and control
16. Chemical and biological health hazards and control
17. Physical and psychological health hazards and control
18. Working at height - hazards and control
19. Excavation work and confined spaces - hazards and control
20. Demolition - hazards and control
21. Summary of the main legal requirements
22. International aspects of health and safety in construction
23. Study skills
24. Specimen answers to NEBOSH examinations