Introduction to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing / Edition 6by Gloria Leifer
Pub. Date: 10/27/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Introduction to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing provides a solid foundation in obstetrics and pediatric nursing. An easy-to-follow organization by developmental stages, discussion of disorders by body system from simple-to-complex and health-to-illness, and a focus on family health make it a complete guide to/b>/i>
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Introduction to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing provides a solid foundation in obstetrics and pediatric nursing. An easy-to-follow organization by developmental stages, discussion of disorders by body system from simple-to-complex and health-to-illness, and a focus on family health make it a complete guide to caring for maternity and pediatric patients. Written in a clear, concise style by Gloria Leifer, MA, RN, this edition reflects the current NCLEX® test plan with additional material on safety, health promotion, nutrition, and related psychosocial care.
• Cultural Considerations boxes and a Cultural Assessment Data Collection Tool help in developing individualized plans of care.
• Updated health promotion content includes Health Promotion boxes focusing on preventive strategies for achieving prenatal wellness, health during pregnancy, postnatal health, and pediatric illness prevention and wellness including the complete immunization schedules for all ages.
• Nursing Tips provide information applying to the clinical setting.
• Objectives are listed in each chapter opener.
• Key terms include phonetic pronunciations and text page references at the beginning of each chapter.
• Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions help you understand how a care plan is developed, how to evaluate care of a patient, and how to apply critical thinking skills.
• A companion Evolve website includes animations, videos, answers to review questions and answer guidelines for critical thinking questions, an English/Spanish audio glossary, critical thinking case studies, and additional review questions for the NCLEX examination.
• Get Ready for the NCLEX®Examination! sections at the end of each chapter help you prepare for classroom tests and the NCLEX examination.
• Increased focus on safety helps you prepare for safe nursing practice, with:
• Safety Alert! boxes based on The Joint Commission's 2009/2010 National Patient Safety Goals
• Medication Safety Alert! boxes highlighting serious and potentially fatal medication errors in infants and children
• New information on determining pediatric dosages and a discussion of the Pedislide system
• New skills include step-by-step instructions for:
• Bathing the Newborn
• Assessing the Length and Height of Infants and Children
• Calculating BMI
• Removal of a Peripheral Intravenous Catheter
• Using the Peak Flowmeter
• Using a Metered-Dose Inhaler
• Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
• Updated nutrition content compares commercially available infant formulas and discusses organic, natural, and dietetic foods.
• Nutrition Considerations boxes cover prenatal care, nutritional issues during infancy, and the crisis in childhood obesity.
• Memory Jogger boxes help you remember important material with mnemonics, tips, and tricks.
• An updated glossary is available in the textbook, as well as on the companion Evolve website.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.70(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE: An Overview of Maternity and Pediatric Nursing 1. The Past, Present, and Future UNIT TWO: Maternal-Newborn Nursing and Women's Health 2. Human Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology 3. Prenatal Development 4. Prenatal Care and Adaptations to Pregnancy 5. Nursing Care of Women with Complications During Pregnancy 6. Nursing Care of Mother and Infant During Labor and Birth 7. Nursing Management of Pain During Labor and Birth 8. Nursing Care of Women with Complications During Labor and Birth 9. The Family After Birth 10. Nursing Care of Women with Complications Following Birth 11. The Nurse's Role in Women's Health Care 12. The Term Newborn 13. Preterm and Postterm Newborns 14. The Newborn with a Congenital Malformation UNIT THREE: The Growing Child and Family 15. An Overview of Growth, Development, and Nutrition 16. The Infant 17. The Toddler 18. The Preschool Child 19. The School-Age Child 20. The Adolescent UNIT FOUR: Adapting Care to the Pediatric Patient 21. The Child's Experience of Hospitalization 22. Health Care Adaptations for the Child and Family UNIT FIVE: The Child Needing Nursing Care 23. The Child with a Sensory or Neurological Condition 24. The Child with a Musculoskeletal Condition 25. The Child with a Respiratory Disorder NEW! 26. The Childe with a Cardiovascular Disorder NEW! 27. The Child with a Condition of the Blood, Blood-Forming Organs or Lymphatic System 28. The Child with a Gastrointestinal Condition 29. The Child with a Genitourinary Condition 30. The Child with a Skin Disorder 31. The Child with a Metabolic Condition 32. The Child with a Communicable Disease 33. The Child with an Emotional or Behavioral Condition UNIT SIX: The Changing Health Care Environment 34. Complementary and Alternative Therapies in Maternity and Pediatric Nursing Appendixes: A. Standard Precautions and Transmission-Based Isolation Precautions B. Sequence for Donning and Removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) C. The Joint Commission's Lists of Dangerous Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols D. Commonly Used Abbreviations in Maternity and Pediatric Nursing E. Common Spanish Phrases for Maternity and Pediatric Nursing F. Multilingual Glossary of Symptoms G. NANDA International Nursing Diagnoses 2009-2011 H. Conversion of Pounds and Ounces to Grams for Newborn Weights I. Normal Vital Signs and Temperature Equivalents of Infants and Children J. Normal Blood Values During Infancy and Childhood K. Blood Pressure Classifications in Children L. Answers to Review Questions for the NCLEX® Examination
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >