Introduction to Research: Understanding and Applying Multiple Strategies / Edition 2by Elizabeth DePoy, Laura N. Gitlin, Laura N. Gitlin, Laura N. Gitlin
INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH provides the reader with a foundation from which to critique and understand research designs and their applications to healthcare and human service settings. It is divided into four parts: Introduction, Thinking Processes, Design Approaches, and Action Processes. The text reflects a new school of thought that recognizes and values… See more details below
INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH provides the reader with a foundation from which to critique and understand research designs and their applications to healthcare and human service settings. It is divided into four parts: Introduction, Thinking Processes, Design Approaches, and Action Processes. The text reflects a new school of thought that recognizes and values multiple research strategies. This perspective proposes that naturalistic and experimental-type research strategies have equal value and contribute in complementary and distinct ways to a science of practice. Knowledge of these different research traditions presents new opportunities for addressing the complex health-related research questions that are emerging in today's health and human service environments.
• Includes a well-balanced, detailed discussion of both qualitative and quantitative methodologies, which provides a comprehensive and equal focus.
• Features significantly expanded discussions on specific design strategies to facilitate the reader's ability to compare, contrast and integrate these strategies.
• Contains a new chapter organization for a more logical flow of content, which is divided into four parts: Introduction, Thinking Processes, Design Approaches and Action Processes.
• Provides expanded use of research examples, making the book more appropriate for a variety of healthcare and human service disciplines.
• Features a conceptual framework in which a graphic appears throughout the text to highlight and integrate the two research traditions from a process perspective. The concept emphasizes that each research tradition must address 10 essential thinking and action processes. These processes are thought about and solved differently, depending upon the particular research methodology being pursued. It brings clarity and understandability to the material and ties the book together.
• Contains an expanded, comprehensive glossary to aid student understanding of a sometimes challenging subject.
• Includes case studies and field stories to provide real-life "snapshots" of what it is like to participate in different types of research processes.
• Includes key terms, chapter outlines and hands-on learning exercises in each chapter.
• Appropriate for occupational therapy, chiropractic, physical therapy, speech pathology, nursing, social work and other healthcare and human service professions.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.22(w) x 9.08(h) x 0.47(d)
Table of Contents
PART I INTRODUCTION Chapter 1 Research as an Important Way of Knowing Chapter 2 Essentials of Research PART II THINKING PROCESSES Chapter 3 Philosophical Foundations Chapter 4 Framing the Problem Chapter 5 Developing a Knowledge Base Through Review of the Literature Chapter 6 Theory in Research Chapter 7 Formulating Research Questions and Queries Chapter 8 Language and Thinking Processes PART III DESIGN APPROACHES Chapter 9 Experimental Type Designs Chapter 10 Naturalistic Inquiry Chapter 11 Case Study Design PART IV ACTION PROCESSES Chapter 12 Setting the Boundaries of a Study Chapter 13 Boundary Setting in Experimental-Type Designs Chapter 14 Boundary Setting in Naturalistic Designs Chapter 15 Collecting Information Chapter 16 Measurement in Experimental-Type Research Chapter 17 Gathering Information in Naturalistic Inquiry Chapter 18 Preparing Data for Analysis Chapter 19 Statistical Analysis for Experimental-Type Research Chapter 20 Analysis in Naturalistic Inquiry Chapter 21 Reporting and Disseminating Conclusions Chapter 22 Conclusion
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >