Ships same day or next business day via UPS (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes)! Used sticker and some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access ...code or dust jacket.Read moreShow Less
1567066127 BRAND NEW! USUALLY SHIPS WITHIN ONE BUSINESS DAY! This item is: An Introduction to Statutory Interpretation and the Legislative Process, Mikva, Lane; 1st ed., 1997; ...paperback; ISBN: 9781567066128. For fastest delivery, choose Expedited Shipping. We represent the Internet's largest independent legal bookstore!Read moreShow Less
In an easy-to-read colloquial style, Mikva and Lane lead students to the understanding they need for succes in substantive courses with a heavy statutory emphasis:
• The Interpretation of Statutes - Beginning whre students do, by reading interpretive cases, the authors demonstrate that statutory interpretation is not simply the search for legislative meaning or intent, but also the exercise of power by a separate branch of government. Organized around two types of cases, those where the statutory language is clear and where it is unclear, this chapter delves into judicial approaches to statutory interpretation and the tools employed for that purpose, as well as criticism of such approaches.
• The Legislative Process - Addresses the environment in which the consideration of legislation takes place and the dynamics of the enactment process.
• The Enactment of a Statute - Follows a particular bill through the window of the Congressional Record. This illustrates example focuses attention on the details and language of the legislative process.
• The Anatomy of a Statute - A complete dissection of the structure, form, and generic provisions.
• The Publication of Statutes - Offers little-known insights that can be used for tactical advantage.