Read an Excerpt
Eilat (Saar 5) Class
Country of origin: ISRAEL
Ship type: CORVETTES
Class: EILAT (SAAR 5) (FSG)
Name (Pennant Number): Ell- AT (501), LAHAV (502), HANIT (503)
- High bow, short sloping forecastle
- 3 in gun mounting or Vulcan Phalanx ClWS on raised forecastle position.
- High, bulky forward slab-sided superstructure with tall pole mainmast atop.
- Harpoon SSM angled launchers immediately aft of forward
- Squat, black-capped funnel with unusual sloping forward edge.
- Barak I SAM VLS launcher immediately aft of funnel.
- Substantial angular after Superstructure with after pole mast atop.
- Large Elta EL/M-2218S air search radar aerial atop after superstructre.
- Flight deck right aft.
Displacement full load, tons: 1,227.
Length, feet (metres): 283.5 (86.4) oa.
Beam, feet (metres): 39 (11.9).
Draught, feet (metres): 10.5 (12).
Speed, knots: 33.
Range, miles: 3,500 at 17 kts
Missiles: SSM - McDonnell Douglas Harpoon (2 quad) launchers. SAM - 2 IAl/Rafael Barak I (vertical launch).
Guns: OTO MELARA 3 in (76 mm)/62 Compact. Interchangeable with a Bofors 57 mm, gun or Vulcan Phalanx CIWS. 2 Sea Vulcan 25 mm CIWS.
Torpedoes: 6 324 mm Mk 32 (2 triple) tubes. Honeywell Mk 46,
Decoys: 3 Elbit/Deseaver chaff launchers, Rafael ATC-1 towed torpedo decoy.
Air search EIta EL/M-2218S
Surface search Carden SPS-55
Fire control 3 Elta EL/M-2221 GM STGR
Sonars: EDO Type 796 Mod I I hull-mounted. Rafael towed array.
Helicopters: I Aerospatiale SA 366G Dauphin.