Thank you for considering the Java 2 Performance and Idiom Guide. The goal of this book is to document the common idioms and optimization techniques that experienced Java developers should know. The topics are presented specifically for Java 2, including coverage of features such as the Collections Framework and the HotSpot JVM.
High Performance Java-write fast code
Our goal is to help catapult the beginner or intermediate Java developer over the chasm of performance pitfalls the Java platform challenges us with. Thus, the book includes a broad introduction to optimizing for speed and space, including:
- Design level optimization principles
- Environment and tool strategies
- Algorithm and data structure strategies
- Language and library specific optimization techniques.
Idioms in Java-write code fast
There are a wide variety of "tricks of the Java trade" or idioms that experienced Java developers apply to develop solid code. Like design patterns, coding idioms provide out-of-the-box solutions for many problems. Unlike design patterns, these idioms are very close to code and therefore take maximum advantage of the Java language and libraries. They include:
- Idiomatic usage of particular JDK classes and APIs, such as the Reflection API.
- Concurrency idioms to create thread-safe code
- Packaging and application structure idioms
- Naming and coding style idioms