- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Westminster, MD
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This expanded and thoroughly updated edition of the popular anthology assembles the best book excerpts, articles, and reports that define and drive the field of educational leadership today. Filled with critical insights from respected authors, education researchers, and expert practitioners, this comprehensive volume features twenty-six chapters in six primary areas of interest: Principles of Leadership, Moral Leadership, Culture and Change, Standards and Systems, Diversity and Leadership, and the Future of Leadership.
About the Authors.
Introduction (Michael Fullan).
PART ONE: The Principles of Leadership.
1. “Give Me a Lever Long Enough . . . and Single-Handed I Can Move the World” (Peter M. Senge).
2. The Nature of Leadership (John W. Gardner).
3. Level 5 Leadership (Jim Collins).
4. The Unheroic Side of Leadership: Notes from the Swamp (Jerome T. Murphy).
5. The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership (James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner).
PART TWO: Moral Leadership.
6. Leadership as Stewardship: “Who’s Serving Who?” (Thomas J. Sergiovanni)
7. An Educational Credo for a Time of Crisis and Urgency (David E. Purpel).
8. Becoming a Trustworthy Leader (Megan Tschannen-Moran).
9. The Manager as Politician (Lee G. Bolman and Terrence E. Deal).
10. The Authentic Leader (Robert Evans).
PART THREE: Culture and Change.
11. Culture in Question (Roland S. Barth).
12. Understanding Change (Michael Fullan).
13. Transformation School Leadership in a Transactional Policy World (Kenneth A. Leithwood).
14. Eight Roles of Symbolic Leaders (Terrence E. Deal and Kent D. Peterson).
15. Risk (Roland S. Barth).
PART FOUR: Standards and Systems.
16. Understanding the Normative System (Phillip C. Schlechty).
17. Power Standards: How Leaders Add Value to State and National Standards (Douglas B. Reeves).
18. Standards for School Leaders (Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium).
PART FIVE: Diversity and Leadership.
19. Making Differences Matter: A New Paradigm for Managing Diversity (David A. Thomas and Robin J. Ely).
20. Teaching All Students: Celebrating Diverse Minds (Mel Levine).
21. Gender and Race as Factors in Educational Leadership and Administration (Cherry A. McGee Banks).
22. Gender and Supervision (Charol Shakeshaft, Irene Nowell, and Andy Perry).
PART SIX: The Future of Leadership.
23. The Work of Principals and Their Preparation: Addressing Critical Needs for the Twenty-First Century (Carolyn Kelley and Kent D. Peterson).
24. Teacher Leadership: Ideology and Practice (Ann Lieberman, Ellen R. Saxl, and Matthew B. Miles).
25. Lasting Leadership: A Study of High Leadership Capacity Schools (Linda Lambert).
26. Resourcefulness: Restraint and Renewal (Andy Hargreaves).
Posted January 30, 2010