- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The quaint town of Cambridge, Maryland is located on the south bank of the great Choptank River, a major tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. Before it became a town, the area had been inhabited by the Algonquian-speaking Choptank Indians. In the year 1669, The Maryland Assembly set aside that land as a Choptank Tribe Reservation. Fifteen years later, in 1684, The Maryland Assembly designated that same sector as a âport of entry" ... and the town of Cambridge was born. Cambridge was incorporated officially in 1793 and is one the oldest colonial cities in Maryland to have survived from that early date.
Because the Eastern Shore was settled by English colonists, most community names were derived from familiar British cities and families. Our county, Dorchester, was named for the Earl of Dorset, a friend of the Calvert family.
Although tucked away in a comer of the Delmarva Peninsula, Cambridge is steeped in history with quaint and attractive waterfronts and interesting architecture. It is the home of four former Governors of Maryland, as well as Stephen Allen Benson, the second President of Liberia. Anna Emma Carroll the "silent member" of Abraham Lincoln's cabinet resided here along with other notables such as Annie Oakley, Harriet Tubman, John Barth and Bea Arthur.