Keys to College Studying: Becoming a Lifelong Learner / Edition 1by Carol Carter, Sarah Lyman Kravits, Joyce Bishop, Sarah Lyman Kravits
Pub. Date: 02/09/2001
Publisher: Prentice Hall
This text offers a contemporary, refreshing approach to traditional coverage of study skills. Concepts and strategies are presented in a context that helps you understand the broader, real-world applications for well-developed study skills. The premise of this book is that strong academic skills form the foundation necessary for your success in our competitive,… See more details below
This text offers a contemporary, refreshing approach to traditional coverage of study skills. Concepts and strategies are presented in a context that helps you understand the broader, real-world applications for well-developed study skills. The premise of this book is that strong academic skills form the foundation necessary for your success in our competitive, global economy.
This book offers knowledge and skills that build self-management, a positive work ethic, and leadership qualities:
- Identifying and using your preferred learning styles
- Goal setting
- Time management
- Flexibility in the face of change
- Ways to reduce stress
- Strategic thinking
You will develop skills that help you fulfill your goals in school and, ultimately, in your career:
- Reading speed and comprehension
- Internet research skills
- Vocabulary skills
- Writing skills
- Math, science, and technology skills
Unique features that underscore relevancy:
- Vocabulary exercises featuring words from current media excerpts
- Chapter summaries in a map format to stimulate visual learning
- A text-wide focus on how your study skills will help you on the job
Keys to College Studying has its own companion website designed to help students review the text material and hone their computer skills. This site (accessed through prenhall.com/carter) resides within the Prentice Hall supersite (prenhall.com/success) for student success and career development. The supersite houses a wide array of resources for students seeking academic andcareer success.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.88(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of Contents
I. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PREPARATION: WHERE THE FUTURE BEGINS.
1. Lifelong Learning: Reaching Your Potential in the 21st Century.
How Do You Become a Lifelong Learner? How Do You Become a Strategic Learner? How Can You Get Ready to Study?
2. Learning Styles and Self-Awareness: Knowing Who You Are and How You Learn.
Is There One Best Way to Learn? What Are the Benefits of Knowing Your Learning Style? How Can You Discover Your Learning Style? How Will Knowing Your Learning Style Help You in Your Career?
3. Goal Setting and Time Management: Mapping Your Course and Reducing Stress.
How Do You Set and Achieve Goals? What Are Your Priorities? How Can You Manage Your Time? Why Is Procrastination a Problem? How Can You Reduce Stress?
4. Critical Thinking: Tapping the Power of Your Mind.
What Is Critical Thinking? How Does Critical Thinking Help You Solve Problems? How Do You Construct and Evaluate Arguments? How Do You Think Logically? What Is Media Literacy?
II. READING, REMEMBERING, AND UNDERSTANDING: MAKING MEANING OF WHAT YOU LEARN.
5. Reading Comprehension, Speed, and Vocabulary: Reading Faster and Understanding More.
What Will Help You Understand What You Read? How Can You Set the Stage for Reading? How Do You Build a Better Vocabulary? How Can You Become Comfortable Reading American English? How Can You Increase Your Reading Speed?
6. Mastering Content: Studying Textbooks, Technical Documents, and Literature.
How Can SQ3R Help You Own What You Read? How CanYou Respond Critically to What You Read? What Special Approaches Should You Take to Reading Literature? How Will Reading Skills Help You in Your Career?
7. Reading Visual Aids: Obtaining Data through Visual Sources.
What Are Visual Aids and How Are They Used? How Do You Read a Table? What Do Charts Show? What Are Other Types of Visual Aids? How Do You Use Critical Thinking to Evaluate Visual Aids?
8. Listening and Memory: Taking in and Remembering Information.
How Can You Become a Better Listener? How Does Memory Work? How Can You Improve Your Memory? How Can You Use Mnemonic Devices to Boost Memory Power?
III. NOTES, RESEARCH, AND WRITING: INTERPRETING AND EXPRESSING IDEAS.
9. Taking Lecture Notes: Recording the Ideas of Others.
How Does Taking Notes Help You? How Can You Make the Most of Class Notes? What Note-Taking System Should You Use? How Can You Write Faster When Taking Notes?
10. Doing Library and Internet Research: Tapping Into the World of Information.
How Can You Make the Most of the Library? How Do You Use a Search Strategy to Conduct Research? How Can You Do Research on the Internet? Study Skills in Action.
11. Effective Writing: Communicating Your Message through the Written Word.
Why Does Good Writing Matter? What Are the Elements of Effective Writing? What Is the Writing Process?
IV. TESTING, TECHNOLOGY, AND COMPETENCY: CREATING YOUR FUTURE.
12. Test Taking: Developing a Winning Strategy for Test Success.
How Can Preparation Help Improve Test Scores? How Can You Conquer Test Anxiety? How Can Studying With Others Help You Succeed? What General Strategies Can Help You Succeed on Tests? How Can You Learn From Test Mistakes?
13. Showing What You Know: Taking Objective, Essay, and Oral Examinations.
How Can You Master Objective Tests? How Can You Master Essay Questions? How Can You Master Oral Exams?
14. Quantitative Learning: Becoming Comfortable with Math, Science, and Technology.
Why Do You Need to Be Able to Think Quantitatively? How Can You Master Math Basics? How Can You Overcome Math Anxiety? What Techniques Will Improve Your Performance on Math Tests? What Do Learning Math and Learning Science Have in Common? What Basics Should You Know about Computers?
15. Moving Ahead: Making Today's Study Skills the Foundation for Tomorrow's Success.
Why Is College Just the Beginning of Lifelong Learning? How Can You Adjust to Change? What Will Help You Handle Success and Failure? How Can You Live Your Mission?
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >