Read an Excerpt
Big Blueberry Muffins
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into 3 equal pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and dried
1. Put the butter pieces in the small saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir with the wooden spoon until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Using the pot holder, remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Put the paper liners in the 12 muffin cups
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix with the table fork.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, and vanilla. Using the same fork, beat until well-blended.
5. Add the milk mixture, melted butter, and blueberries to the flour mixture. Using the rubber spatula, stir gently until the ingredients are just blended.
6. Spoon equal amounts of the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the extra 2 teaspoons sugar evenly over the tops.
7. Bake the muffins until they are golden and have risen nicely, 18 to 20 minutes. To test, insert the toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, the muffins are ready. Using oven mitts, remove the muffin pan from the oven and place it on the cooling rack. Let the muffins cool for at least 15 minutes before removing them from the pan. Gently turn the pan over, letting the muffins fall out onto the rack.
Makes 12 muffins