The King's Jackal, Once Upon A Time, Cinderella, And Other Storiesby Richard Harding Davis, Charles Dana Gibson (Illustrator)
"The King's Jackal" - Richard Harding Davis's daring adventure set in a dangerous, foreign land. The exiled King of Messina, and Baron Kalonay, plot to re-establish the king's financial fortunes by purchasing arms and invading his former country! The only one standing in the way of the diabolical plans of the bankrupt exiled King is a courageous American reporter. But is the King really planning an invasion? If he isn't, what is his plan?
• * "Once Upon a Time" - A collection of eight of Davis's short stories, drawn from his experiences abroad as a correspondent. "A Question of Latitude" deals with European cruelty and misrule in the Congo. "The Spy" visits the South America of dictators, revolutions, and corrupt financial schemers from the U.S. Also included are "The Messengers," "A Wasted Day," "A Charmed Life," "The Amateur," "The Make-Believe Man," and "Peace Maneuvers."
• * "Cinderella and Other Stories" - Five stories, starting with the one naming the book: "Cinderella," an outing with Van Bibber in which he and a friend think the have found a Cinderella, but discover it is not as easy as the fairy tale makes it sound. "The Reporter Who Made Himself King" follows a reporter who wants to cover a war but is posted to a remote island; the appearance of a German ship provides him an excuse to write a thrilling report, but then things go wrong, very wrong. "Miss Delamar's Understudy," "The Editor's Story," and "An Assisted Emigrant" round out the collection.
• * This volume includes the complete text of all three novels, published in 1902, 1902, and 1901, respectively ("The Reporter Who Made Himself King" appeared in both "The King's Jackal" and "Cinderella and Other Stories," but is included here only in "Cinderella and Other Stories.") Also included are the original 15 full-page illustrations that graced those volumes.
• * Check our other Children's, Juvenile, and Adult books at www.FlyingChipmunkPublishing.com, or Like us on Facebook for our latest releases.
- Wilder Publications
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.73(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews