Laboratory Testing for Ambulatory Settings: A Guide for Health Care Professionals / Edition 2by Marti Garrels
Learn the lab testing skills you need to know! Laboratory Testing for Ambulatory Settings: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, 2nd Edition provides in-depth coverage of the most common procedures and techniques of all the new CLIA waived, point-of-care tests along with some moderately complex tests. Clear, step-by-step instructions and full-color/b>… See more details below
Learn the lab testing skills you need to know! Laboratory Testing for Ambulatory Settings: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, 2nd Edition provides in-depth coverage of the most common procedures and techniques of all the new CLIA waived, point-of-care tests along with some moderately complex tests. Clear, step-by-step instructions and full-color photographs make it easy to master each test and procedure. Written by noted educators Marti Garrels and Carol S. Oatis, this edition adds a new chapter on toxicology and information on five new procedures. A companion Evolve website lets you practice clinical laboratory skills.
- Complete coverage includes the most common CLIA waived tests for any healthcare professional in the ambulatory setting.
- A "triad" organization gives chapters a consistent, easy-to-follow format:
- Fundamental Concepts: basic information related to tests and procedures.
- CLIA Waived Procedures: step-by-step instructions for CLIA waived tests.
- Advanced Concepts: further application of basic knowledge and skills towards a higher level of critical thinking and decision making, such as handling non-CLIA waived tests.
- Over 60 new photographs and drawings clarify topics and show examples of laboratory specimens soyou will be able to identify them on the job.
- New chapter on toxicology.
- More extensive coverage of working with the microscope prepares you for the lab.
- Updated, expanded information about quality control and quality assurance provides relevant information so you can accurately and effectively perform in the lab.
- Updates on proper collection and processing of urine specimens, microbiology specimens, blood capillary and venipuncture specimens, which includes new urine culture using vacutainer system, new drawings for urine and influenza specimen collections, and the latest order of blood draw including the plasma separator tube, ensure that you have the most current information.
- Five new procedures with corresponding skill check-off sheets help you understand the most up-to-date protocols:
- Clinitek Analyzer
- Standard Hematocrit
- New A1c+ Ki+
- iFOB method for fecal occult blood
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to the Laboratory and Safety Training Fundamental Concepts Overview of the Laboratory Safety Training in the Laboratory 2. Regulations, Microscope Set-up, and Quality Control CLIA: Government Regulations CLIA Levels of Complexity and Their Certification Requirements Microscope Procedure Preparation: Identifying the Parts and Functions of a Microscope Good Laboratory Practices Quality Control HIPAA Privacy Rule Risk Management Electronic Medical Records and Bar Coding 3. Urinalysis Fundamental Concepts and Collection Procedures Anatomy of the Urinary System Urine Specimen Collection CLIA Waived Tests Urinalysis Advanced Concepts Microscopic Urinalysis Calculating a Microscopic Urinalysis 4. Blood Collection Fundamental Concepts Function and Structures of Blood Vessels Federal Law Concerning Safety Equipment Procedure Preparation Blood Collection Procedures Capillary Puncture Venipuncture Preparing Blood Specimens for Laboratory Pick Up Advanced Concepts Complications Risk Management 5. Hematology Fundamental Concepts Overview of Hematology and Blood Preparing a Blood Smear for Observation by Physician or Lab Tech Theory of Hemostasis Summary of Fundamental Concepts CLIA Waived Hematology Tests Hemoglobin Hematocrit Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate Prothrombin Time Becoming Proficient at CLIA Waived Hematology Tests Advanced Concepts Complete Blood Count Abnormal CBC Findings CLIA Nonwaived (Moderately Complex) Automated Hematology Systems 6. Chemistry Fundamental Concepts Blood Plasma Blood Chemistry Specimens Glucose Metabolism and Testing Lipid Metabolism and Testing CLIA Waived Chemistry Tests Principle of Photometers and Spectrophotometers CLIA Waived Glucose Tests Fecal Occult Blood Testing with the Guaiac Method Summary of CLIA Waived Tests Becoming Proficient at CLIA Waived Chemistry Testing Advanced Concepts I-STAT Picollo Metabolic Panels: Basic and Comprehensive Individual Analytes and Their Disease Associations Summary 7. Immunology Fundamental Concepts Overview of Immunology Two Types of Allergy Testing CLIA Waived Immunology Tests CLIA Waived Enzyme-Linked Immunoassays Pregnancy Testing Mononucleosis Testing Helicobacter pylori Testing Human Immmunodeficiency Virus Fecal Occult Blood Testing using iFOB Kits Advanced Concepts Agglutination Reactions (Non-CLIA Waived Tests) Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay: Quantitative Analysis Summary of Immunologic Tests 8. Microbiology Fundamental Concepts Overview of Microbiology Collecting, Transporting, and Processing Microbiology Specimens Microbiology Smears, Stains, and Wet Mounts Pin Worm Specimen Collection and Microscopic Results CLIA Waived Microbiology Tests Streptococcus Group A Testing Influenza Advanced Concepts Growth Requirements of Bacteria Media Used for Growing Bacteria Microbiology Equipment Culturing Methods Biochemical Testing Sensitivity Testing Pathogenic Organisms Seen Frequently in Physician Office Laboratories Emerging Infectious Diseases Bioterrorism 9. Toxicology NEW! Fundamental Concepts Overview of Toxicology Drugs of Abuse CLIA Waived Drug Screening Tests Testing for drugs of abuse Advanced Concepts Therapeutic Drug Monitoring Pharmcokinetics Drug Half-Life and Specimen Collection Other Toxicology Tests Summary Appendices A. Reference Values B. Herb/Laboratory Test Interactions C. Common Laboratory Tests D. Frequent Medical Diagnoses and Laboratory Tests Glossary Index
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >