Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Proceduresby Cynthia C. Chernecky, Barbara J. Berger
Find complete answers to questions such as which laboratory tests to order or what the results might mean. Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Procedures, 6th Edition covers more tests than any other reference of its kind, with over 900 lab tests and diagnostic procedures in all. In Part I, you'll find an alphabetical list of hundreds of diseases, conditions,/b>… See more details below
Find complete answers to questions such as which laboratory tests to order or what the results might mean. Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Procedures, 6th Edition covers more tests than any other reference of its kind, with over 900 lab tests and diagnostic procedures in all. In Part I, you'll find an alphabetical list of hundreds of diseases, conditions, and symptoms, including the tests and procedures most commonly used to confirm or rule out a suspected diagnosis. In Part II, you’ll find descriptions of virtually every laboratory and diagnostic test available. This edition is updated with the latest research and over 20 NEW test entries. Written by educator Cynthia Chernecky and clinical nurse specialist Barbara Berger, this lab reference covers today’s lab tests with concise, easy-to-use information.
- More than 900 laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures are included - more than any other reference!
- Over 600 diseases, conditions, and symptoms are listed, along with the tests used to confirm them.
- Alphabetical organization and A-to-Z thumb tabs make it easy to find the information you’re looking for.
- Alternative test names and acronyms are cross-referenced to simplify lookup.
- Instructions for client and family teaching help you offer guidance concerning test preparation and follow-up care.
- Age and gender-specific norms are provided, giving you complete lifespan coverage.
- Risks and Contraindications are highlighted to help you safeguard your patients and provide effective care.
- Panic Level Symptoms and Treatment are provided for dangerously increased and decreased levels.
- Minimum volumes for blood samples are included, useful when a client’s blood preservation is essential, as well as information on whether blood specimens can be drawn during hemodialysis.
- Tests for toxic substances are included, making this a lab, diagnostic, and toxicology book all in one.
- Abbreviations, measurement prefixes, and symbols are listed on the front and back covers for convenience.
- Information on herbal supplements indicates when a client’s use of natural remedies might affect test results.
- Over 20 NEW test entries present the latest tests and procedures, with a strong focus on affordable, clinically relevant genetic tests.
- UPDATED content includes the latest research relating to accuracy of tests, diagnostic value of results, and associated cost-benefit ratios.
Description: This book is designed as a reference for laboratory and diagnostic tests. It is clearly organized and includes indications for the use of the tests, reference standards, and interfering factors, to name a few. It is expected that the nurse/examiner uses standard precautions when collecting specimens.
Purpose: This two-part text has two specific purposes: to assist in the diagnosis and monitoring of clients with specific disease processes and to provide a concise, comprehensive reference about the specific diagnostic tests and laboratory procedures selected for client management. This is a practical, easy-to-use text. Tables, appendixes, and an inclusive indexing of diagnostic and laboratory tests achieve this book's purpose.
Audience: Targeted for practicing nurses and other healthcare professionals and students within these fields, this book is appropriate for primary, acute, and restorative healthcare settings.
Features: Positive features include the alphabetical listing (in part two) of the tests; it is well indexed and has multiple tables, which enhance the narrative. A strong feature is the inclusion of risks, preparation of the client, postprocedure care, client education factors affecting test results, and test-specific bibliography. There is also a listing of general reference manuals at the beginning of the text.
Assessment: This laboratory book is a good clinical reference for the student or practicing professional in nursing or related health fields. This clear, concise diagnostic and laboratory test reference enables healthcare professionals to incorporate the test and its implications into the plan of care for their clients. The design of this text encourages the professional to use client teaching in all healthcare settings.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- Sales rank:
- File size:
- 6 MB
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >