- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Language Arts Workshop: Purposeful Reading and Writing Instruction presents a manageable way of organizing instruction, exploring a gradual release of responsibility through meaningful experiences in all areas of need for literacy development, including oral language, spelling, vocabulary, word study, fluency, and comprehension. Like an apprenticeship, novice readers and writers learn a craft under the guidance of a skilled and knowledgeable teacher. Through the language arts workshop, students read and write everyday, spending time working with their teacher, collaborating with peers, and working independently.
Learn to model successful language arts teaching for your students
PART 1: YOU, YOUR STUDENTS, AND YOUR TEXTS
1. Principles of the Language Arts Workshop.
PART 2: COMPONENTS OF THE LANGUAGE ARTS WORKSHOP
2. Focus Lessons: Shared Reading and Shared Writing in the Language Arts Workshop.
3. Guided Reading and Writing in the Language Arts Workshop
4. Collaborative Learning in the Language Arts Workshop .
5. Independent Reading, Writing, and Conferring in the Language Arts Workshop.
PART 3: APPROACHES TO TEACHING IN THE LANGUAGE ARTS WORKSHOP
6. Speaking and Listening in the Language Arts Workshop.
7. Teaching Spelling and Word Study in the Language Arts Workshop.
8. Vocabulary Development in the Language Arts Workshop.
9. Building Reading and Writing Fluency in the Language Arts Workshop.
10. Comprehension Strategy Instruction in the Language Arts Workshop.
11. Using Assessments to Guide Instruction in the Language Arts Workshop.
Compendium of Assessments
1. Classroom Observation Form
2. Storybook Reading Inventory
3. Basic Rubric
4. Self-Assessment of Group Work
5. Reading Interest Survey
6. Yopp-Singer Test of Phoneme Segmentation
7. Narrative Story Retelling Rubric
8. Informational Text Retelling Rubric
9. Student Form for Letter Identification
10. Teacher Recording Form for Letter Identification
11. Dolch Sight Word Assessment - Preprimer
12. Dolch Sight Word Assessment - Primer
13. Dolch Sight Word Assessment-First Grade
14. Dolch Sight Word Assessment - Second Grade
15. Dolch Sight Word Assessment - Third Grade
16. Frequently Used Rimes
17. Early Concepts of Print Checklist
18. Coding Sheets for Running Records
19. Blank Running Record Form
20. Collecting Data for Running Record
21. The Nonword Reading Test
22. Sample Cloze Procedure - Student Form
23. Sample Cloze Procedure Answer Key
24. Metacomprehension Strategies Index
25. Metacomprehension Strategies Index Answer Key
26. Elementary Reading Attitude Survey
27. Self-Assessment for Traits of Effective Readers
28. Developmental Spelling Analysis Screening Inventory
29. Developmental Spelling Analysis Screening Inventory Prediction Chart
30. Class Record of Writing Fluency
31. Holistic Writing Rubric for Friendly Letter
32. Writing Attitude Survey
33. Speaking Checklist
34. Speaking Self-Assessment Checklist
35. Oral Presentation Checklist
36. Student Oral Language Observation Matrix (Solom)
Appendix I: Book Choices by Grade Level.
Appendix II: Children and Young Adult Titles by Genre.
Appendix III: Literary Devices for Narrative Text