The Language of Medicine / Edition 10by Davi-Ellen Chabner
Pub. Date: 02/25/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Bring medical terminology to life with Davi-Ellen Chabner's bestselling The Language of Medicine, 10th Edition! By presenting medical terms within the context of the body’s anatomy and physiology, and in health and disease, this proven resource makes it easy to learn a working medical vocabulary built on the most frequently encountered prefixes,/b>
Bring medical terminology to life with Davi-Ellen Chabner's bestselling The Language of Medicine, 10th Edition! By presenting medical terms within the context of the body’s anatomy and physiology, and in health and disease, this proven resource makes it easy to learn a working medical vocabulary built on the most frequently encountered prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms. Practical exercises and case studies demonstrate how medical terms are used in practice. Add an engaging student Evolve website with medical animations and videos, word games, flash cards, and more, and you’ll be ready to communicate confidently in the clinical setting and succeed in your healthcare career.
• Simple, clear, non-technical explanations demystify medical terminology even if you have little or no background in medicine or science.
• Practical applications such as case reports, operative and diagnostic tests, and laboratory and x-ray reports demonstrate the use of medical terminology in practice.
• Self-study text/workbook approach reinforces learning every step of the way with labeling diagrams, pronunciation tests, and review sheets.
• Full-color illustrations depict anatomy, physiology, and pathology, putting medical terms in the context of the body’s structure and function.
• Comprehensiveglossaries andappendices serve as quick references for use in the classroom and on the job.
• NEW! In Person narratives help you understand diseases and conditions from the patient’s perspective.
• NEW! A Closer Look highlights particular conditions.
• NEW! Images and photos illustrate difficult terms and procedures.
• NEW! Terms and definitions keep you up to date with healthcare advances.
• More Spotlights identify and clarify potentially confusing terminology.
• Error-prone abbreviations list derived from the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) list alerts you to abbreviations that should not be used in the clinical setting.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 10.80(w) x 8.50(h) x 1.50(d)
Table of Contents
- Basic Word Structure
- Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole
- Digestive System
- Additional Suffixes and Digestive System Terminology
- Urinary System
- Female Reproductive System
- Male Reproductive System
- Nervous System
- Cardiovascular System
- Respiratory System
- Blood System
- Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- Musculoskeletal System
- Sense Organs: The Eye and the Ear
- Endocrine System
- Cancer Medicine (Oncology)
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Medical Word Parts to English
- English to Medical Word Parts
Appendix I: Plurals
Appendix II: Abbreviations, Acronyms, Eponyms, and Symbols
Appendix III: Normal Hematologic Reference Values and Implications of Abnormal Results
Appendix IV: Drugs
Appendix V: Complementary and Alternative Medicine Terms
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
This book is awesome, not only does it cover terminology, it covers pathology, anatomy and physiology of each body system, and other medical field such as pharmacology, oncology, radiology and psychiatry. This is a great book and it helped me a lot to memorize, learn and understand the medical terminology.
...I have reviewed many, many text books used for studying medical terminology and 'The Language of Medicine' is the best of the lot...it may have a few problems, but on average outweighs many others..its outline is clear, easy to understand, and effective...it is impossible to learn and retain all the necessary terms required to function in industry without understanding the background and the association of the terms to the body...therefore, the study of the anatomy, physiology, and pathology is a necessity.
This book has a lot of mistakes and tends to make the student confussed
This book contains colorful pages and was easy to understand. Through working on the exercises in the book, you will soon master spelling and reading medical terms easily. This is a book worth to buy and to keep it for the rest of life.