The LaTeX Companion (Addison-Wesley Series on Tools and Techniques for Computer Typesetting) / Edition 2by Frank Mittelbach, Michel Goossens, Johannes Braams, David Carlisle
Pub. Date: 04/22/2004
The LaTeX Companion has long been the essential resource for anyone using LaTeX to create high-quality printed documents. This completely updated edition brings you all the latest information about LaTeX and the vast range of add-on packages now available--over 200 are covered! Full of/i>
This is the digial version of the printed book (Copyright © 2004).
The LaTeX Companion has long been the essential resource for anyone using LaTeX to create high-quality printed documents. This completely updated edition brings you all the latest information about LaTeX and the vast range of add-on packages now available--over 200 are covered! Full of new tips and tricks for using LaTeX in both traditional and modern typesetting, this book will also show you how to customize layout features to your own needs--from phrases and paragraphs to headings, lists, and pages.
Inside, you will find:
- Expert advice on using LaTeX's basic formatting tools to create all types of publications--from memos to encyclopedias
- In-depth coverage of important extension packages for tabular and technical typesetting, floats and captions, multicolumn layouts--including reference guides and discussions of the underlying typographic and TeXnical concepts
- Detailed techniques for generating and typesetting contents lists, bibliographies, indexes, etc.
- Tips and tricks for LaTeX programmers and systems support
New to this edition:
- Nearly 1,000 fully tested examples that illustrate the text and solve typographical and technical problems--all ready to run!
- An additional chapter on citations and bibliographies
- Expanded material on the setup and use of fonts to access a huge collection of glyphs, and to typeset text from a wide range of languages and cultures
- Major new packages for graphics, "verbatim" listings, floats, and page layout
- Full coverage of the latest packages for all types ofdocuments--mathematical, multilingual, and many more
- Detailed help on all error messages, including those troublesome low-level TeX errors
Like its predecessor, The LaTeX Companion, Second Edition, is an indispensable reference for anyone wishing to use LaTeX productively.
The accompanying CD-ROM contains a complete plug-and-play LaTeX installation, including all the packages and examples featured in the book.
- Publication date:
- Tools and Techniques for Computer Typesetting Series
- Edition description:
- Second Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.47(w) x 9.22(h) x 1.61(d)
Table of Contents
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
A brief history.
Working with this book.
2. The Structure of a LATEX Document.
The structure of a source file.
Table of contents structures.
3. Basic Formatting Tools.
Phrases and paragraphs.
Footnotes, endnotes, and marginals.
Simulating typed text.
Lines and columns.
4. The Layout of the Page.
Geometrical dimensions of the layout.
Changing the layout.
Dynamic page data: page numbers and marks.
Doing layout with class.
5. Tabular Material.
Standard LaTEX environments.
array--Extending the tabular environments.
Calculating column widths.
Multipage tabular material.
Color in tables.
Customizing table rules and spacing.
Footnotes in tabular material.
6. Mastering Floats.
Understanding float parameters.
Float placement control.
Extensions to LaTEX's float concept.
Controlling the float caption.
7. Fonts and Encodings.
Understanding font characteristics.
Using fonts in text.
Using fonts in math.
Standard LaTEX font support.
PSNFSS--PostScript fonts with LaTEX.
Acollection of font packages.
The LaTEX world of symbols.
The low-level interface.
Setting up new fonts.
LaTEX's encoding models.
Compatibility packages for very old documents.
8. Higher Mathematics.
Introduction to AMS-LaTEX.
Display and alignment structures for equations.
Compound structures and decorations.
Variable symbol commands.
Words in mathematics.
Fine-tuning the mathematical layout.
Fonts in formulas.
Symbols in formulas.
9. LATEX in a Multilingual Environment.
TEX and non-English languages.
The babel user interface.
User commands provided by language options.
Support for non-Latin alphabets.
10. Graphics Generation and Manipulation.
Producing portable graphics and ornaments.
LaTEX's device-dependent graphics support.
Manipulating graphical objects in LaTEX.
Display languages: PostScript, PDF, and SVG.
11. Index Generation.
Syntax of the index entries.
makeindex--A program to format and sort indexes.
xindy--An alternative to MakeIndex.
Enhancing the index with LaTEX features.
12. Managing Citations.
The number-only system.
The author-date system.
The author-number system.
The short-title system.
Multiple bibliographies in one document.
13. Bibliography Generation.
The BIBTEX program and some variants.
The BIBTEX database format.
Bibliography database management tools.
Formatting the bibliography with BIBTEX styles.
The BIBTEX style language.
14. LATEX Package Documentation Tools.
doc--Documenting LaTEX and other code.
docstrip.tex--Producing ready-to-run code.
ltxdoc--A simple LaTEX documentation class.
Making use of version control tools.
A. A LATEX Overview for Preamble, Package, and Class Writers.
Linking markup and formatting.
Page markup--Boxes and rules.
Control structure extensions.
Package and class file structure.
B. Tracing and Resolving Problems.
Warnings and informational messages.
TEX and LaTEX commands for tracing.
trace--Selectively tracing command execution.
C. LATEX Software and User Group Information.
How to get those TEX files?.
Finding the documentation on your TEX system.
TEX user groups.
D. TLC2 TEX CD.
Index of Commands and Concepts.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >