- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
* The meaning of law and legal reasoning.
* Law in relation to justice, morality, and religion.
* Explaining law and society: schools of jurisprudence and sociolegal theories.
* Major legal traditions and systems of law.
* Perspectives on comparative law.
* A life in the legal profession.
* An overview of legal institutions and processes.
* Legal culture and beliefs about law and legal behavior.
* Legal ethics.
* Legal socialization.
* How law has been reformed.
* Emerging attributes of law in the 21st century.
"Law in Our Lives has four special strengths. First and most important, it treats law as a complex, multidimensional subject. Second, this book is interdisciplinary at every turn, explicating legal phenomena in historical, political, cross-national, and sociological perspectives. Third, the text offers a good balance between legal theory (jurisprudence) and the 'law in action,' thereby suggesting both why and where law matters. Finally, the book offers a timely discussion of many topical issues for which the law does (or will) matter."--From the Foreword by John Paul Ryan, Former Director, American Bar Association Commission on College & University Legal Studies
"Friedrichs does an excellent job of defining or describing concepts, giving a visual representation of those concepts, and then giving real world examples of how concepts might be applied. [Friedrichs] is clearly an expert in the socio-legal approach, and this text is clearly a welcome addition to the subfield of Law and Society."--Linda Maule, Law and Politics Book Review
Praise from the previous edition
"This book represents an extraordinary mastery of the material. It is a first-rate piece of scholarship that is likely to make a major contribution to defining the law and society field in the 21st century. The author is extremely thorough in presenting every major theme within the discipline."--Matthew Silberman, Bucknell University
About the Author
2. Law: Its Meaning and Logic
3. Law, Justice, and Moral Order
4. Jurisprudence and the Study of Law
5. The Law and Society Movement
6. Comparative and Historical Perspectives on Law and Society
7. The Legal Profession
8. Legal Institutions and Processes: An Overview
9. Legal Culture and Legal Behavior
10. Law in Flux: Law and Social Change
Appendix A:. Case Briefing: A Rudimentary Skill in Legal Analysis
Appendix B:. Law in Our Lives: Films
Appendix C:. Law in Our Lives on the Internet