Leadership Roles and Management Functions in Nursing: Theory and Applicationby Carol J. Huston
Help your students develop the skills they’ll need on the job with today’s #1 bestseller. Taking an active learning approach, this Ninth Edition emphasizes the symbiotic elements of leadership and management. All professional nurses today face limited resources and emerging technologies, and this book prepares students through up-to-date and/b>
Help your students develop the skills they’ll need on the job with today’s #1 bestseller. Taking an active learning approach, this Ninth Edition emphasizes the symbiotic elements of leadership and management. All professional nurses today face limited resources and emerging technologies, and this book prepares students through up-to-date and comprehensive coverage of leadership and management concepts, ranging from managing conflict and working collaboratively to organizing patient care and staffing. Benefitting students who often have limited opportunities to observe high-performing middle- and top-level managers in practice, a variety of real-world scenarios are featured throughout and provide opportunities for hands-on learning. New to the Ninth Edition:
- More than 280 learning exercises (26 NEW to this edition) help students see how concepts can be applied in a wide range of practice situations and health-care settings. The variety of learning modes in the exercises gives students opportunities to apply theory, develop strong critical-thinking skills, and internalize learning.
- Updated Content Crosswalks—based on the latest AACN, AONE, QSEN, and, new to this edition, ANA standards and competencies—show how content in each chapter draws from or contributes to content identified as essential for baccalaureate and graduate education, for practice as a nurse administrator, and for safety and quality in clinical practice.
- Updated content on new trends/developments in health care includes the Affordable Care Act, meaningful EHR use, projected nursing shortages, and newer care delivery models focused on ambulatory care and outpatient settings.
- Expanded coverage of workplace topics includes whistleblowing, liability of supervision of unlicensed workers, bullying, incivility, mobbing, workplace violence, and the authority-power gap.
- Improved leveling in the test bank allows for better assessment of student progress.
Description: This book on nursing leadership updates the 2006 publication with a new approach that includes contemporary research and theory.
Purpose: The purpose is to provide theoretic foundations of nursing that work in tandem with clinical practice. The book successfully combines two key aspects of nursing leadership and management. These are worthy objectives and a vital part of professional training.
Audience: It is intended for nurse and healthcare educators, nursing students, and nurse managers. It also is appropriate for scholars interested in learning more about the theories and applications of the nursing profession. The editors are noted professors and experts in nursing and they have gathered numerous luminaries in the field to add their expertise.
Features: This book is a bargain, not only because it is packed with information, but also because it includes supplemental instructional and learning materials available from a related web site. The softcover book is colorful and reader friendly, with countless diagrams, charts, and tables. Topics and theories include case studies in long term care, acute care, and ambulatory care. Each chapter has exercises to enhance learner competencies on a variety of topics that will help with critical decision making. In addition, there are over 225 case studies. Due to the size and potential frequent use, the book would have been better as a hard cover.
Assessment: Once again, these two editors have provided an invaluable contribution to the growth and depth of nursing in the areas of theories and management. Readers will not be disappointed.
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Ninth, North American Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 9.90(h) x 1.10(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
Excellent text. Entering the nursing profession after twenty plus years in design and advertising. I found this text to be concise, informative, and useful. It was truly a refreshing read. I am now a senior in nursing school, and many of the textbooks I have been required to slog through for my nursing education have been insipid and long-winded. Authors seem to enjoy hearing themselves speak about their nursing experience without getting to the point of teaching me something useful. Marquis and Huston connect common sense leadership concepts to the nursing profession.