Learning Disabilities and Challenging Behavior: A Guide to Intervention & Classroom Management / Edition 2by Nancy Ed Mather
Pub. Date: 04/01/2008
Publisher: Paul H. Brookes Company
Why do children in grades K–12 struggle, and how can teachers help students develop the competence and confidence they need to succeed? This book had all the answers in 2001–and now the fully revised new edition shows teachers how to support children with learning disabilities and behavioral challenges in today's era of high-stakes testing and… See more details below
Why do children in grades K–12 struggle, and how can teachers help students develop the competence and confidence they need to succeed? This book had all the answers in 2001–and now the fully revised new edition shows teachers how to support children with learning disabilities and behavioral challenges in today's era of high-stakes testing and accountability. They'll have an innovative framework to help them understand the reasons why students in K-12 struggle.
Even more comprehensive and user-friendly than the popular previous edition, this text follows the same basic format: a detailed questionnaire pinpoints student strengths and needs, and the Building Blocks model targets 10 factors and abilities related to school success and gives teachers practical strategies for helping students succeed. With timely new material infused throughout the whole book, pre- and in-service educators will
- Keep up with the very latest knowledge on learning disabilities. Every chapter has been revised to reflect the tremendous amount of new research.
- Address a broader age range with more on the early childhood and elementary years
- Increase their understanding of how to help students with behavior challenges. An expanded chapter on behavior includes more on preventive approaches to discipline so teachers can address problems before they become severe.
- Help students with emotional difficulties. Examining emotions as separate from behavior, the authors give readers updated research on a wider range of emotional disorders and difficulties and more information on how to intervene.
- Teach more effectively in today's diverse classrooms with new information on English language learners and students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds
The reliable, up-to-date research makes this an essential textbook for any course focused on learning disabilities and behavior problems, and the practical advice and guidelines will be a lifeline to in-service teachers year after year. Sure to be a bestseller, this new edition will help educators effectively address variations in children's environments, abilities, needs, and learning styles—and ensure better outcomes for students who struggle.
- Paul H. Brookes Company
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 11.00(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
About the Authors About the Contributors Acknowledgments A Note to TeachersI. Introduction
- The Building Blocks of Learning: A Framework for Understanding Classroom Learning and Behavior
- Theoretical Foundations
- The Learning Environment
- Attention and Self-Regulation: Understanding and Managing Students with Hyperactivity and Poor Attention, Planning, and Impulse Control
- Emotions: Understanding and Managing Worry and Hopelessness in the Classroomwith Gretchen Schoenfield
- Understanding and Managing Behavior Problems
- Strategies to Promote Self-Esteem and Resiliencewith Robert Brooks
- Learning Disabilities and the Symbolic Processing Blocks
- Instruction for the Symbolic Processing Blocks: Decoding, Encoding, Reading Fluency, Calculating, and Handwriting
- Thinking with Language, Images, and Strategieswith Ann M. Richards
- Instruction in Reading Comprehension, Written Expression, and Math Problem Solvingwith Ann M. Richards
- The Classroom Environment as a Microcosm of the World
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >