Learning to Think Strategicallyby Julia Sloan
Pub. Date: 06/15/2006
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
In Learning to Think Strategically, author Julia Sloan presents a previously unexamined account of the relationship between strategic thinking and the learning process involved - taking learning from the academic to the everyday. This book is an original primer on how successful strategists learn to think strategically. This authoritative book traces the history of strategy, differentiates strategic thinking from planning, describes the influence of culture, streamlines the roles of rationality and intuition, and identifies five key attributes for learning to think strategically. Learning to Think Strategically asserts that learning is the critical link to strategic thinking. Learning is a "conversion tool" that can transform thinking strategically into a sustainable competitive advantage.
Table of Contents
Part 1: How Did We Get Here?
1. Chronology of Strategy
2. Contemporary Competing Views of Strategy
3. Implications of the History of Strategy History for Strategic Learning
Part 2: How Do We Learn to Think Strategically?
4. Definition of Strategic Thinking
5. Informal and Formal Learning Defined
6. Formal Learning Refuted
7. Context and Learning Transfer as Factors in the Strategic Thinking Process
8. The Triangle Model
Part 3: What Does Learning to Think Strategically Look Like?
9. Preparation Stage
10. Experience Stage
11. Re-evaluation Stage
Part IV: How Can We Get Started?
12. Overview of Learning Domains Used for Strategic Thinking
13. The Surf and Dive Learning Domains
Part 5: How Can we Talk About All this?
14. The Role of Dialogue in the Strategic Thinking Process
15. What is the Role of Inquiry in Critical Dialogue?
Part 5: Why Does Some of This Feel So Familiar?
16. Intuition as a Must-Have for Learning to Think Strategically
17. Framing and the Intuition Factor
18. Shattering Frames
Part 7: . . . But What About the Numbers?
20. The Roles of Analysis and Intuition in Strategic Decision Making
21. Decision-Making Approaches to Strategic Thinking
22. Coordination Intuition and Analysis to Facilitate Strategic Thinking
Part 8: What Role Does Culture Play?
23. The Role of Culture in Strategic Thinking
24. The Challenge of Introducing Strategic Thinking Across Cultures
Part 9: Is Anybody Born With This Know-How?
25. The Five Critical Attributes
26. Interplay of the Five Attributes
27. Adaptation as a Strategic Expectation
Part 10: How Can We Become Better Strategic Thinkers?
28. Developing the Five Essential Attributes
29. Developing the Critical-Reflective Processes
30. Where We’ve Come From and Where We Can Go: Some Suggestions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >