Life Beyond the Line: A Front-of-the-House Companion for Culinarians / Edition 1by Noel C. Cullen
Suitable for all Culinary Arts programs, this unique resource guide fully prepares future chefs by helping them build skills in both high quality food production and "front-of-house" training - i.e., customer satisfaction and retention - now recognized as the principal driving force behind the modern chef. Emphasizing the necessity of training/b>/b>… See more details below
Suitable for all Culinary Arts programs, this unique resource guide fully prepares future chefs by helping them build skills in both high quality food production and "front-of-house" training - i.e., customer satisfaction and retention - now recognized as the principal driving force behind the modern chef. Emphasizing the necessity of training today's chef to be a "customer-driven" professional, the book establishes the importance of working together for success, discusses issues of sanitation and safety, and offers guest relations and social skill techniques. It examines the fundamentals of table service, and educates readers on the basics of wine and wine-making. All liquors, including beer, ale and stout, are covered, and the essentials of mixology are shared. It describes the legal issues surrounding alcohol, and presents a case study on the "happy hour" drinker. For those in hospitality careers.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of Contents
I. THE IMPERATIVE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE.
1. Chefs and the Future.
2. The Legacy of Service.
3. Methods of Table Service.
4. Tableside Service and Buffets.
5. Guest Relations and “People” Skill Techniques.
6. Suggestive Selling and Merchandising.
7. Legal Issues and Dining Room Service.
II. FUNDAMENTALS OF WINE: PRODUCTION.
8. Wine-Making and the Major Varietals.
9. Major Wine-Producing Countries.
10. Wine and the United States.
11. Tasting, Evaluating, Appreciating, and Cooking with Wine.
12. Wines Styles, Highly Rated Wines of the World and Quality Controls.
13. The Service of Wine and the Wine List.
III. BAR SERVICE AND MIXOLOGY.
14. Liqueurs and Aperitifs.
15. Beers, Ales and Stout.
16. Distilled Liquors.
18. Intervention Procedures for Alcohol Service.
19. Licensing and Legal Issues Surrounding Alcohol.
20. Bar Theft and Special Problems.
21. Alcohol and Its Effect on the Body.
IV. TOWARD TEAMWORK.
22. Issues of Sanitation.
24. Quality Management, Diversity, and Respect.
25. The Dynamics of Leadership.
26. Teamwork: Putting It All Together.
Glossary of Terms.
Appendix 1: International Coffees and Tableside Preparations.
Appendix 2: Cocktail Recipes.
Appendix 3: Napkin Folds.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >