Pope Benedict XVI (Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger) is widely recognized as one of the most brilliant theologians and spiritual leaders of our age. As Pope he authored the best-selling Jesus of Nazareth; and prior to his pontificate, he wrote many influential books that continue to remain important for the contemporary Church, such as Introduction to Christianity and The Spirit of the Liturgy.
Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Timesby Pope Benedict XVI
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
Never has a Pope, in a book-length interview, dealt so directly with such wide-ranging and controversial issues as Pope Benedict XVI does in Light of the World. Taken from a recent week-long series of interviews with veteran journalist Peter Seewald, this book tackles head-on some of the greatest issues facing the world of our time. Seewald poses such forthright questions to Pope Benedict as:
• What caused the clergy sexual abuse in the Catholic Church?
• Was there a "cover up"?
• Have you considered resigning?
• Does affirming the goodness of the human body mean a plea for "better sex"?
• Can there be a genuine dialogue with Islam?
• Should the Church rethink Catholic teaching on priestly celibacy, women priests, contraception, and same-sex relationships?
• Holy Communion for divorced-and-remarried Catholics?
• Is there a schism in the Catholic Church?
• Should there be a Third Vatican Council?
• Is there any hope for Christian unity?
• Is Christianity the only truth?
• Can the Pope really speak for Jesus Christ?
• How can the Pope claim to be "infallible"?
• Is there a "dictatorship of relativism" today?
Twice before these two men held wide-ranging discussions, which became the best-selling books Salt of the Earth and God and the World. Then, Seewald's discussion partner was Joseph Ratzinger, head of the Vatican's chief doctrinal office. Now, Joseph Ratzinger is Pope Benedict XVI, the spiritual leader of the world's over one billion Catholics. Though Seewald now interviews the Pope himself, the journalist "pulls no punches", posing some of the thorniest questions any Pope has had to address. Believers and unbelievers will be fascinated to hear Benedict's thoughtful, straightforward and thought-provoking replies. This is no stern preachment or ponderous theological tract, but a lively, fast-paced, challenging, even entertaining exchange.
- BN ID:
- Ignatius Press
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- Sales rank:
- File size:
- 275 KB
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
It is an interesting look at the life of Pope Benedict and his thoughts on what is expected of him as a man of God and the leader of Catholics worldwide.
No matter what you think of the Catholic Church by reading this you will see that the head of it at 80 is still a brilliant mind
This is the most revealing look at the Pope and his views than you will ever know. It is fascinating. We'd also recommend that you buy "When God Stopped Keeping Score," an intimate look at the power of God and forgiveness. It will change your life and it is on sale now here on BN. Proceeds from the sale of each copy will go to support various women and children charities.