Lightfoot The Deerby Thornton W Burgess
• * Wonderfully handsome was Lightfoot the Deer, or so all the animals in The Green Forest thought. With his majestic antlers and proud bearing, he was
Originally published in 1921, "Lightfoot the Deer" is part of the rich heritage of children's nature books left to us by Thornton W. Burgess. This edition includes the original four illustrations.
• * Wonderfully handsome was Lightfoot the Deer, or so all the animals in The Green Forest thought. With his majestic antlers and proud bearing, he was quite a sight when he moved through the forest. But Lightfoot was worried. It was Autumn, and the hunters were about. As big as he was, bigger than the hunters, he shouldn't have had to fear them. But the hunters have those terrible guns!
• * Follow Lightfoot as he plays a hide-and-seek game with the hunters, always trying to stay out of the hunters' way, and how the various Green Forest animals help him hide and escape.
• * And then, once the hunting season is over, first one, then another, strange deer appear in The Green Forest. Who are they and why are they in The Green Forest? And what will Lightfoot do?
- Wilder Publications
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.21(d)
- Age Range:
- 4 - 8 Years
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
My son and I have read a great many of Thornton Burgess's books. Most are good, and only one was disappointing (Jerry Muskrat, in which Burgess took a story that usually would be a single chapter and drags is out for a full 10 chapter book). All of these books are sweet, and they are educational, in that the information about the animals' habits and habitats is accurate. However, Lightfoot the Deer is the best of them by far. It is the story of deer hunting season as told from the perspective of the deer, and it's actually quite exciting. The reader is completely drawn into Lightfoot's frame of mind, and walks, runs and quivers in his hooves as he is stalked by hunters. If you are only going to read one of these books, Lightfoot the Deer is the one to choose.
I really enjoyed this book.
I love hunting...