Linux for Dummiesby Dee-Ann LeBlanc, Evan Blomquist, Melanie Hoag
Previous editions of Linux For Dummies have garnered rave reviews. However, there’s one scary term applied to them—outdated! The 6th Edition remedies that with easy-to-understand information on the latest version of the most popular Linux distributions, including Fedora Core, SuSE, Mandrake, Xandros, Linspire, and Knoppix. This guide walks you though installing, configuring, tuning, and using each version of Linux, the low-cost, secure alternative to expensive operating systems. You’ll discover how to:
- Prep your computer for Linux
- Boot and stop Linux
- Connect to the Internet, e-mail, surf the Web, and access and use cool Internet tools
- Manage files and directories
- Do word processing and more with Open Office.org
- Updated material includes:
- Info on the wireless Internet connection
- Coverage of the new SELinux infrastructure, an important new security feature
- Updated GNOME and KDE coverage
Written by Dee-Ann LeBlanc, award-winning author of numerous books and articles and author or coauthor of the popular previous editions of Linux For Dummies, this edition not only guides you step by step, it also includes an appendix of common Linux commands and a comprehensive index so you can find what you need to know without taking extra steps.
The bonus DVD includes:
- The full, installable version of Fedora Core 3 and Knoppix
- ISO images (that will save hours of downloading time) for SUSE live, Mandrake full version, Xandros Open Circulation version, and Linspire full version
If you want to explore the different distributions of Linux, this is the guide for you!
Read an Excerpt
Meet the Author
Dee-Ann LeBlanc is the author or coauthor of all previous editions of Linux For Dummies. She also develops and teaches courses on Linux, Unix, and other computer-related topics.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >