Literacy: Helping Children Construct Meaning / Edition 4by J. David Cooper
Pub. Date: 08/28/1999
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
This popular K8 reading/literacy methods text focuses on a contemporary, active learning approach as the means for teaching literacy. The Sixth Edition continues to provide pre-service and in-service teachers with a resource that will help them do the most effective job possible, providing balanced literacy instruction for all students, along with strategies and… See more details below
This popular K8 reading/literacy methods text focuses on a contemporary, active learning approach as the means for teaching literacy. The Sixth Edition continues to provide pre-service and in-service teachers with a resource that will help them do the most effective job possible, providing balanced literacy instruction for all students, along with strategies and lessons for direct and indirect instruction. This Teaching in Action Edition is packaged with a special guide that correlates text material with HM Video Cases.
- Chapter 9 provides much needed coverage on how to help children with reading problems, and offers intervention plans and strategies for classroom teachers. This chapter specifically addresses issues for ELL/LEP readers and related issues of diversity.
- Educator Speaks boxed features contain real-life descriptions of how practitioners have successfully used a strategy in the areas of technology, diversity, and accommodating individual needs.
- Thorough standards coverage highlights the impact of national, state, and local standards on teachers, students, and schools.
- Additional coverage includes an emphasis on the needs of upper-elementary and middle school students; children's literature selections accompanied by sample lesson plans; and an emphasis on decoding, vocabulary, and meaning.
- Eduspace is a dynamic online tool that enhances course management and delivery and allows students to share information, reflect, and review. Eduspace offers students access to such interactive components as HM Video Cases, a discussion board and online journal, and a unique tutorial on developing a teaching portfolio.
- Houghton Mifflin VideoCases, four- to six-minute video modules presenting real classroom scenarios, enable students to observe the day-to-day challenges and rewards of teaching from the convenience of their computers. Available on the Online Teaching and Study Centers, HM Video Cases are enhanced by classroom artifacts, Viewing Questions, Interview Transcripts, Key Terms, and bonus video footage.
- Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.00(w) x 9.12(h) x 0.87(d)
Table of ContentsContents
Note: Each chapter concludes with a summary.
- 1. Focus on Literacy Learning
- What Is Literacy?
- How Literacy Develops
- Stages of Literacy Development
- The Role of Standards and Benchmarks in Literacy Instruction
- Diversity and Literacy Learning
- Technology and Literacy Learning
- A Partial History of Reading and Literacy
- Principles for Guiding Literacy Learning
- Focus of This Text
- 2. A Comprehensive Literacy Program
- Comprehensive Literacy Instruction
- Standards and Instruction in a Comprehensive Literacy Program
- Formats for Developing Standards-Based Literacy Lessons
- Sample Guided Listening Lesson
- Texts for a Comprehensive Literacy Program
- 3. Prior Knowledge: Activating and Developing Concepts and Vocabulary
- Understanding Prior Knowledge, Concept Development, and Vocabulary in Literacy Learning
- The Role of the Teacher
- Strategies for Helping Students Achieve Independence in Activating and Developing Prior Knowledge
- Standards-Based Literacy Lesson: Gladiator
- 4. How to Teach Strategies for Constructing Meaning
- Strategies and Standards
- Strategies for Constructing Meaning
- Planning Effective Strategy Instruction
- Strategy Lessons: The Minilesson
- A Final Word About Strategies
- 5. Beginning Literacy: Decoding, Vocabulary, and Meaning
- What You Need to Know About Beginning Reading Instruction
- Routines for Comprehensive Literacy Instruction
- Planning Daily Instruction Using Routines
- Standards-Based Literacy Lesson: No! No! Titus
- 6. Beyond Beginning Literacy: Decoding, Vocabulary, and Meaning
- Standards at the Upper Elementary andMiddle School Levels
- Vocabulary Development
- Elements of Effective Vocabulary Development
- Guidelines for Effective Vocabulary Instruction
- Standards-Based Literacy Lesson: Ananse's Feast
- 7. Responding and the Construction of Meaning
- Responding: What It Means and Why It Is Important
- A Classroom Atmosphere That Promotes Responding
- Procedures That Promote Responding to Literature
- 8. Writing and the Construction of Meaning
- Why Writing and Reading Together?
- Standards and Writing
- Ways to Think About Writing
- Activities That Connect Reading and Writing
- Process Writing: A Way to Construct Meaning
- Sample Lesson Using the Shared Writing Routine
- Writing Conventions
- Using Technology to Support Writing and Reading
- 9. Helping Struggling Readers
- Who Are Struggling Readers?
- The Comprehensive Literacy Program, Standards, and Struggling Readers
- Identifying Struggling Readers
- Core Instruction for Struggling Readers
- Intervention for Struggling Readers
- Finding Time for Struggling Readers
- 10. Developing a Management System for a Comprehensive Literacy Classroom
- Organizing Your Comprehensive Literacy Classroom
- The Literacy Classroom
- Developing a Management System
- Meeting the Needs of All Students
- 11. Assessment and Evaluation in the Comprehensive Literacy Classroom
- A Current View of Assessment
- Principles to Guide Effective Assessment
- Using Standards to Guide Assessment
- Organizing Assessment Information for Instructional Use
- Assessment Techniques
- Making Decisions from Assessment Data
- What to Do About Grading
- Handbook Resource
- The English Sound System
- Structural Analysis
- Teaching Phonics and Structural Analysis
- What Is Literacy?
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >