Read an Excerpt
Perfect Chocolate Mousse
- ½ cup pitted soft dates
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut butter (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups mashed avocado (about 3 medium avocados)
- 3/4 cup raw carob powder
- 4-6 tablespoons cocoa powder (or additional carob powder)
Soak the dates in ½ cup fresh water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain the soak water and set aside. In a food processor, blend dates, maple syrup, coconut butter (if desired), and vanilla until smooth. Spoon in avocado and blend until smooth. Add a few tablespoons of date soak water if necessary to aid in blending. Spoon in carob and cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
Spoon mousse into parfait or wineglasses. Keeps fresh for several days.
Variation: Try freezing for a decadent ice cream.
Makes 4 cups