- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This is the ideal book to help prospective teachers improve children's reading and language arts skills and instill in them a genuine and lasting love of reading. The book demonstrates numerous ways to integrate literature into the daily fabric of classroom life. Following a solid grounding in the basics every reading teacher needs, individual chapters explore genres of children's literature and teaching strategies specific to each genre. Then, the authors examine currently accepted effective practices for engaging young readers in hands-on reading in a way that fosters a love of literature that will last a lifetime. Early childhood and elementary education literature and language arts teachers.
PART I: FOUNDATIONS FOR THE LITERATURE CLASSROOM.
1. Believing in Living Literature.
2. Culturally Responsive Classrooms.
3. Understanding What We Read: Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Discussion.
4. Responding to Literature.
PART II: LEARNING ABOUT LITERATURE.
6. Traditional Literature.
7. Picture Books.
8. The Fiction Family: Realistic Fiction, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, and Science Fiction.
PART III: LITERATURE FOR TEACHING READING AND WRITING.
10. Reading Aloud: Bringing Literature Alive for All Ages.
11. Shared and Guided Reading.
12. Independent Reading.
13. Literature Circles.
14. Students as Authors: Literature and the Writing Process.