Living Well on the Spectrum: How to Use Your Strengths to Meet the Challenges of Asperger Syndrome/High-Functioning Autismby Valerie L. Gaus
Navigating the "neurotypical" world with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (AS/HFA) can be extremely stressful. But by understanding the specific ways your brain works differently--and how to tap into your personal strengths--you can greatly enhance your well-being. In this wise and practical book, experienced therapist Valerie L. Gaus helps… See more details below
Navigating the "neurotypical" world with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (AS/HFA) can be extremely stressful. But by understanding the specific ways your brain works differently--and how to tap into your personal strengths--you can greatly enhance your well-being. In this wise and practical book, experienced therapist Valerie L. Gaus helps you identify goals that will make your life better and take concrete steps to achieve them. Grounded in psychological science, the techniques in this book help you:
*Learn the unspoken rules of social situations.
*Improve your communication skills.
*Get organized at home and at work.
*Manage anxiety and depression.
*Strengthen your relationships with family and friends.
*Live more successfully on your own or with others.
A wealth of stories, questionnaires, worksheets, and concrete examples help you find personalized solutions to problems you are likely to encounter. Finally, a compassionate, knowledgeable, positive guide to living well on the spectrum.
- Guilford Publications, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.90(w) x 10.40(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
Foreword, Stephen Shore
Introduction. How to Get the Most Out of This Book
I. Life on the Spectrum
1. A Typical Day in Your Life: Problems and Solutions
2. A Unique Brain: How Thinking Differences Can Affect Your Daily Life
3. How Social Differences Can Be Vulnerabilities and Strengths
4. The Role of Your Emotional Differences
5. How Sensory and Movement Differences Can Affect Your Interactions with Your Environment
II. Positive Solutions for a Quality Life
6. Positive Solutions: Your Bag of Tricks
7. At Home
8. At Work
9. At School
10. In the Community
11. Building Friendships
12. Dating, Sex, and Marriage
14. Putting Yourself in Charge of Your Life and Finding Help When You Need It
Appendix: Problem-Solving Worksheet
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >