Living with Bears: A Practical Guide to Bear Countryby Linda Masterson, Tom Beck
With over 900,000 black bears roaming North America today, people from Florida to British Columbia are encountering bears more often, and as a result, human-bear conflicts are on the rise. Colorado author Linda Masterson dispels myths, replaces fear with respect, and lays the foundation for improving human-black bear relations with an inside look at the fascinating world of these highly intelligent, adaptable and resourceful animals.
• Understanding Black Bears and Their Behavior
• Bear-Proofing Your Home
• Safe Trash Stashing
• Hiking, Camping & Playing in Bear Country
• Bird feeding, Bee-Keeping in Bear Country
• Gardening, Orchards & Farming in Bear Country
• Bear Behavior Modification
• Avoiding Encounters & Attacks
• Appendix: bear organizations, volunteer groups, state agencies, resources and index
• Case Studies from national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and communities in Colorado, Pennsylvania, Florida, Tennessee, Washington, Nevada, California, Minnesota and Canada.
- Pixyjack Pr Llc
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 8.80(h) x 0.60(d)
- Age Range:
- 10 - 18 Years
What People are saying about this
Meet the Author
Linda Masterson has been helping people learn to peacefully coexist with bears since she joined the Colorado Division of Wildlife's Bear Aware Team in 2001. Her award-winning work has appeared in the New York Times Sunday Magazine, Animal Kingdom, Ranger Rick, and many others. After a couple of decades as a creative director at Chicago advertising agencies, she moved to Colorado, and quickly learned that some of her most interesting new neighbors were big and furry. She's an experienced outdoorswoman, and has hiked in more than a hundred national parks and forests in the U.S. and Canada.
Scientific Advisor: Bear biologist Tom Beck is an internationally recognized, highly respected expert; U.S.A. Today refers to him as "One of America's leading authorities on black bears." In his twenty-five years with the Colorado Division of Wildlife, Beck authored many scientific publications and statewide management plans, and conducted widely cited field research studies that advanced our understanding of bears. He's an avid outdoorsman, river runner, hiker, camper, fisherman and hunter, and has recently taken up organic farming. He served as both scientific and real-world advisor on Living with Bears.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >