LWW's Foundations in Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians: A Series for Education & Practiceby W. Renee Acosta
Pub. Date: 10/01/2009
LWW's Foundations in Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians is the essential resource for pharmacy technician students and practitioners. The most relevant and focused book on the market, it has been developed specifically for pharmacy technician programs and working professionals. Comprehensive yet concise, avoiding fluff or filler, the text is the right/b>… See more details below
LWW's Foundations in Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians is the essential resource for pharmacy technician students and practitioners. The most relevant and focused book on the market, it has been developed specifically for pharmacy technician programs and working professionals. Comprehensive yet concise, avoiding fluff or filler, the text is the right depth, the right length, the right choice. Pharmacy technicians who learn their pharmacology with this book will be knowledgeable, confident, and prepared for professional success.
Each chapter of LWW's Foundations in Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians includes the following features:
- Chapter Objectives prepare the student for each chapter's material by laying out the key topics.
- Key Terms set up students' understanding of the material while also providing handy lists for studying at the start of each chapter, including definitions. Terms are bolded and highlighted in color throughout the chapter for in-context reinforcement.
- Tips offer advice for remembering and applying the chapter's content.
- At the Counter is a critical thinking feature that relates drug facts to relevant scenarios with patients and poses application questions to students.
- Proceed with Caution pulls together in concise lists the possible adverse interactions for the most commonly prescribed drugs.
- How It Works describes pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in clear, easy-to-understand steps with illustrations where appropriate.
- Classification Tables synthesize the basic information about all drugs covered in each chapter by drug class, generic name, and trade name.
- Quick Quizzes at the end of each chapter provide in-context self-study and review opportunities for students or assignment options for instructors. Questions are multiple-choice, short-answer, true-or-false, and matching. Answers are provided in the Appendix.
A comprehensive supplement package includes an electronic Quiz Bank and full text online. Pharmacy technician program instructors can access PowerPoint presentations, an Image Bank, and a Brownstone Test Generator online at thePoint™.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: FUNDAMENTALS OF PHARMACOLOGY
Adverse Drug Reactions
Chapter 2: AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM DRUGS
Cholinergic Blocking Drugs
Adrenergic Blocking Drugs
Chapter 3: NEUROLOGIC AND NEUROMUSCULAR DRUGS
Skeletal Muscle Relaxants
Neuromuscular Blocking Drugs
Chapter 4: DRUGS FOR PAIN, FEVER, AND INFLAMMATION
Nonopioid Analgesics, Antipyretics, and Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
Opioid Agonist and Antagonist Drugs
Chapter 5: CARDIOVASCULAR DRUGS
The Cardiovascular System
Chapter 6: HEMATOLOGIC DRUGS
Chapter 7: RESPIRATORY DRUGS
The Respiratory System and Disorders
Drugs and the Respiratory System
Mast Cell Stabilizers
Mucolytic and Expectorant Drugs
Chapter 8: GASTROINTESTINAL DRUGS
Adsorbent, Antiflatulent, and Digestive Drugs
Antiemetic and Emetic Drugs
Chapter 9: ANTI-INFECTIVE DRUGS
Selecting an Antimicrobial Drug
Chapter 10: ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, ANTI-ALLERGY, AND IMMUNOSUPPRESSANT DRUGS
Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists
Mast Cell Stabilizers
Miscellaneous Anti-Allergy Agents
Uricosurics and Other Antigout Drugs
Chapter 11: PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS
Sedative and Hypnotic Drugs
Antidepressant and Mood Stabilizer Drugs
Chapter 12: ENDOCRINE DRUGS
Antidiabetic Drugs and Glucagon
Thyroid and Antithyroid Drugs
Chapter 13: DRUGS FOR FLUID AND ELECTROLYTE BALANCE
Electrolyte Replacing Drugs
Alkalinizing and Acidifying Drugs
Chapter 14: ANTINEOPLASTIC DRUGS
Appendix: Answers to Quick Quiz Questions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >