Lymphedema Caregiver's Guide: Arranging and Providing Home Careby Mary Kathleen Kearse, Ann B. Ehrlich, Elizabeth Jane McMahon, Paula J. B. Stewart
Pub. Date: 01/01/2009
Publisher: Lymph Notes
Caregiver's Guide is the first book to provide detailed instructions for caregivers on all aspects of lymphedema (or lymphoedema) home care including physical care (skin care, simple lymph drainage, compression, exercise, etc.), communications skills and emotional support, and activities of daily living. Caregivers will also learn ways to protect themselves from injury and burnout.
Caregiver's Guide outlines a systematic approach to determining the patient's care needs, arranging care, and coordinating multiple caregivers.
Trained lymphedema caregivers are in short supply now and we face a 'care gap' in the near future as the number of people needing care increases while the pool of potential family caregivers shrinks. This book is an important first step in the process of providing trained caregivers.
This book will help:
* People with lymphedema and their families and friends understand what care is required, locate caregivers and other resources, and navigate the reimbursement maze. This book also covers coordinating multiple caregivers, preparing the home for care, and many other practical topics.
* Caregivers understand lymphedema, their role in lymphedema care, specific skills for providing physical care and emotional support, and how to manage equipment and supplies for home care. They will also learn ways to protect themselves from physical injury and emotional burnout as caregivers.
* Lymphedema therapists work more effectively with their patients and the patient's caregivers.
* Home care planners and administrators understand lymphedema and the special requirements of lymphedema home care.
About the authors:
* Mary Kathleen Kearse, PT, CLT-LANA, has worked full time with lymphedema patients for nine years and practiced physical therapy for 24 years.
* Elizabeth McMahon, PhD is a clinical psychologist and co-author of Living Well with Lymphedema, author of Overcoming the Emotional Challenges of Lymphedema, and co-editor of Voices of Lymphedema.
* Ann Ehrlich, MA is a professional medical writer, co-author of Living Well with Lymphedema, and co-editor of Voices of Lymphedema.
- Lymph Notes
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 1.05(w) x 6.00(h) x 9.00(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >